Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAd luck

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAd luck

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE MESSAGE....IT IS VERY IMPORTANT AND CAN HELP YOU BEGINNERS AND SOME OF YOU LONG TIMERS....!!!!

This is my "Cartek" experience that i would like to share with all the members on this forum.

I have previously found out that my father was right when he told me as a child that "if you want it done right, do it yourself." I recently had an appointment set up with the company Cartek Racing located out of Garwood New Jersey that was scheduled 1 1/2 months in advance. Now, i had made this appointment because I was told by many that Cartek Racing was the BEST place to get my 002 Z06 Dyno-tuned. My Car does have work done to it ( MS4 camshaft, LG LT pros). After dealing with tem on the phone, some of the workers were very unpleasent to talk to but some were fine such as Dave who was very helpful. The time now came for me to make my trip from PA,( 20min north of philly........1 1/2hour trip) and when i finally ended up at there shop, I was NOT IMPRESSED at all. There were cars outside with flat tires, convertible tops down being fried in the sun and neglected as they were parked out on the main street. I continued to go inside and get my car tuned. I met with Dav and Mike and I was greated very politely and was told to " Wait for 2 mins and we'll get your car in."

I waited for 3HOURS, after continuing to bother them to get my car on the dyno. After they finally got the car onto the dyno, the man that pulled it in decided that he wanted to open my door right into the metal guardrail around the dyno. BTW my car is a purely show car and les just say that it did not make me very happy since now, that is the only scuff/scratch on the ENTIRE car. I decided to not say anything ( in fear that they would blow my engine on the dyno or do more damage since i had already signed the Waver). As i went to the office to talk to Dave, The workers there decided that they wanted to wel a Bung onto my BRAND NEW LG headers ( whether the bung was needed or not) without telling me or letting myself be aware of it at all. On top of that, the welds on the bung were to the quality of an 8 year old. My car then sat on the dyno for another 2 hours before they decided to look at it. The man that was tuning my vehicle ( Julio ) hooked his software up and it turned out that the mail order tune people had put a lokck on the tune so I had to wait until the email came back. Julio decided he wanted to go ot to lunch AGAIN for another 1-2 hours. As i waited again very patiently, the time finally cam at 7 o clock for my car to get tuned. The first run, Julio decided to run the car with the traction control on ( he claims) and the car was beaking up and running awful. After he banged off the rev limiter a number of times ( which is set a 6900rpms and shouldnt be limited on a dyno since that is very bad). After that first yno run, he told me about that traction control and giggled. The second and third run were made within a matter of 10-15 minutes. The Tune was FINALLY done and it was time to go back home. I payed in cash ( the $550 ) and kindl left. I started the car outside and the car ran awful. The idle was terrible and it would barely move. I continued down the street and the car was so annoying to drie that i thought about having it flatbedded home. Now some of you are saying, well why didnt you just take it back. And my response is, I had been there ALL day, had my door scuffed, was treated poorly, and had my car tuned poorly, Do you really think that i would want to go back. If you had a awful meal in a restaurant and they said that they would like to try again, you wouldnt try again, you just wouldnt go back....Am I right...

Anyway, as i was on my way hme, i wanted to test the performance of my newly tuned vehicle and as i expected, the perforance was also terrible. I had to pass a Celica with exhaust and it was so difficult that i just ave up and got behind that fartcan. Lets just say that i payed $550 for my car to run worse then when it came in, get scuffed, get treated poorly, and waste an entire day, which BTW was a friday and i could hav been wrking and making money instead of pissing it away with these fellas. I ad to have the computer reflashed to Factory settings just so that i would be able to drive it when it needed to be taken somewhere. The point of this story is not to talk trash or hatred on Cartek racing, or not to even tell you that you shouldnt go there. The point is just to let all of you out there who are in the same positio that i was in to beware that you cant always trust these people who say there the best. I ended up using HP Tuners to tne my own car and I have it running excelent. There are still a few minor bugs to work out but for a first time user of any computer tuning program, i think i did great, and to believe that these men at Cartek do this fr a living, scares me. For all of you that have had great success wit Cartek, you were lucky and for all of you that pay no attention to this and go there, I hope you dont have to go through what I went through. Belive me, It wasnt fun and it wasnt cheap. I was told on the phone that they would decide about what they wanted to do about compensting me for the trouble they had caused and it has been the week that i told them i would give them before I shared my experience with teh entire world. As a Business owner myself, This experience has not only made me care more about the quality of my work ( which is to the highest standards to begin with) but has also helped me to realize that there are a lot of hacks out there and that you just have to be careful. Do as much research as you can and when your done, take your time and do some more. Dont be fooled when you see a shop with a lot of fast and famed cars in it, because behind the fast and famed ars that i had seen, there must have been apprentices working on the cars because the quality is of that. To say the least, I would not even take my mother blazer to have the oil changed at Cartek Racing.

This Letter is ONLY of my OPINIONS and my own personal experince. This is not to provide hatred or tell ayone not to go there. These are just my thoughts. NO Replies are necessary and for those of you who support them and think that i am an ***hole, that is fine and you can keep that to yourselves. Thank you all for reading this and good luck with your interesting Corvette experiences. If you have just read this message, you will be seeing it again on the treads list prbabl every week, so there will be no reason to open it. It will have the same heading. Thanks again and good luck to all you Corvette enthusiasts.!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a similar experience with a local shop I whent to.The tune was bad after they installed my cam.They tried to fix it and when it was still bad they said call back in a couple of weeks and we'll see what we can do. I hired a local tuner here in OHIO who fixed it and did an Awsome job,and when I wanted heads installed he referred me to a good shop.now when people ask about my car my tuner and NEW shop gets great reviews and more customers.I never whent back to the old shop.POINT is "Good customers dont get mad,they just dont come back"!! As a result My new shop gets more bussness from me and more referrals and so does my tuner
Old 06-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Just curious, when did this happen?
Old 06-29-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your lucky you were able to reflash your ecu.
My tuner also built my block but as i'm using an aft mkt ecu his tuning expertise went out the window, months of trying to get the tune right has now left me with a fucked block due to over fuelling issues.
Damage is substantial
Old 06-29-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blue92c4
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE MESSAGE....IT IS VERY IMPORTANT AND CAN HELP YOU BEGINNERS AND SOME OF YOU LONG TIMERS....!!!!

This is my "Cartek" experience that i would like to share with all the members on this forum.

I have previously found out that my father was right when he told me as a child that "if you want it done right, do it yourself." I recently had an appointment set up with the company Cartek Racing located out of Garwood New Jersey that was scheduled 1 1/2 months in advance. Now, i had made this appointment because I was told by many that Cartek Racing was the BEST place to get my 002 Z06 Dyno-tuned. My Car does have work done to it ( MS4 camshaft, LG LT pros). After dealing with tem on the phone, some of the workers were very unpleasent to talk to but some were fine such as Dave who was very helpful. The time now came for me to make my trip from PA,( 20min north of philly........1 1/2hour trip) and when i finally ended up at there shop, I was NOT IMPRESSED at all. There were cars outside with flat tires, convertible tops down being fried in the sun and neglected as they were parked out on the main street. I continued to go inside and get my car tuned. I met with Dav and Mike and I was greated very politely and was told to " Wait for 2 mins and we'll get your car in."

I waited for 3HOURS, after continuing to bother them to get my car on the dyno. After they finally got the car onto the dyno, the man that pulled it in decided that he wanted to open my door right into the metal guardrail around the dyno. BTW my car is a purely show car and les just say that it did not make me very happy since now, that is the only scuff/scratch on the ENTIRE car. I decided to not say anything ( in fear that they would blow my engine on the dyno or do more damage since i had already signed the Waver). As i went to the office to talk to Dave, The workers there decided that they wanted to wel a Bung onto my BRAND NEW LG headers ( whether the bung was needed or not) without telling me or letting myself be aware of it at all. On top of that, the welds on the bung were to the quality of an 8 year old. My car then sat on the dyno for another 2 hours before they decided to look at it. The man that was tuning my vehicle ( Julio ) hooked his software up and it turned out that the mail order tune people had put a lokck on the tune so I had to wait until the email came back. Julio decided he wanted to go ot to lunch AGAIN for another 1-2 hours. As i waited again very patiently, the time finally cam at 7 o clock for my car to get tuned. The first run, Julio decided to run the car with the traction control on ( he claims) and the car was beaking up and running awful. After he banged off the rev limiter a number of times ( which is set a 6900rpms and shouldnt be limited on a dyno since that is very bad). After that first yno run, he told me about that traction control and giggled. The second and third run were made within a matter of 10-15 minutes. The Tune was FINALLY done and it was time to go back home. I payed in cash ( the $550 ) and kindl left. I started the car outside and the car ran awful. The idle was terrible and it would barely move. I continued down the street and the car was so annoying to drie that i thought about having it flatbedded home. Now some of you are saying, well why didnt you just take it back. And my response is, I had been there ALL day, had my door scuffed, was treated poorly, and had my car tuned poorly, Do you really think that i would want to go back. If you had a awful meal in a restaurant and they said that they would like to try again, you wouldnt try again, you just wouldnt go back....Am I right...

Anyway, as i was on my way hme, i wanted to test the performance of my newly tuned vehicle and as i expected, the perforance was also terrible. I had to pass a Celica with exhaust and it was so difficult that i just ave up and got behind that fartcan. Lets just say that i payed $550 for my car to run worse then when it came in, get scuffed, get treated poorly, and waste an entire day, which BTW was a friday and i could hav been wrking and making money instead of pissing it away with these fellas. I ad to have the computer reflashed to Factory settings just so that i would be able to drive it when it needed to be taken somewhere. The point of this story is not to talk trash or hatred on Cartek racing, or not to even tell you that you shouldnt go there. The point is just to let all of you out there who are in the same positio that i was in to beware that you cant always trust these people who say there the best. I ended up using HP Tuners to tne my own car and I have it running excelent. There are still a few minor bugs to work out but for a first time user of any computer tuning program, i think i did great, and to believe that these men at Cartek do this fr a living, scares me. For all of you that have had great success wit Cartek, you were lucky and for all of you that pay no attention to this and go there, I hope you dont have to go through what I went through. Belive me, It wasnt fun and it wasnt cheap. I was told on the phone that they would decide about what they wanted to do about compensting me for the trouble they had caused and it has been the week that i told them i would give them before I shared my experience with teh entire world. As a Business owner myself, This experience has not only made me care more about the quality of my work ( which is to the highest standards to begin with) but has also helped me to realize that there are a lot of hacks out there and that you just have to be careful. Do as much research as you can and when your done, take your time and do some more. Dont be fooled when you see a shop with a lot of fast and famed cars in it, because behind the fast and famed ars that i had seen, there must have been apprentices working on the cars because the quality is of that. To say the least, I would not even take my mother blazer to have the oil changed at Cartek Racing.

This Letter is ONLY of my OPINIONS and my own personal experince. This is not to provide hatred or tell ayone not to go there. These are just my thoughts. NO Replies are necessary and for those of you who support them and think that i am an ***hole, that is fine and you can keep that to yourselves. Thank you all for reading this and good luck with your interesting Corvette experiences. If you have just read this message, you will be seeing it again on the treads list prbabl every week, so there will be no reason to open it. It will have the same heading. Thanks again and good luck to all you Corvette enthusiasts.!!!!!!!!!
There's no "Cartek" in my future they sound like a bunch of *** clown that don't give a rat *** about someone else car. I'm sorry to hear you had that crap happend to you, as hard as we have to work for our cars. I would have had fucken cow and ended up killing someone for sure!!!! I got mad just reading this ****!!!
Old 06-29-2007, 11:14 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy **** do I even want to read all that?

EDIT: Ok, just read all of it and that blows ***. You could have done something politely like say, "Oh Damn, he just brushed that pole. I wonder if it left a mark? Ah, **** it left a scrape. My show quality paint is now marred."

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
Your lucky you were able to reflash your ecu.
My tuner also built my block but as i'm using an aft mkt ecu his tuning expertise went out the window, months of trying to get the tune right has now left me with a fucked block due to over fuelling issues.
Damage is substantial
Yeah, that is very lucky. Usually people who don't know how to tune lock the PCM. They don't want people bad mouthing their work.

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 06-29-2007 at 11:25 PM.