Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Still got low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003 | 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Default Help! Still got low oil pressure

Ok will I rebuilt the motor with a new LS6 ported oil pump from TR. After installing everything oil pressure was about 40psi and would get up to 60psi when reved on a cold start. After the motor warms up to around 210 degrees it will drop down to 10psi at idle.

Took the car to a speed shop and had him install a new pickup tube o-ring. He said when he took it apart that the o-ring was crooked. After installing everything it is still happening. He thinks that it may be a bad oil pump.

Well what do you all think? Im stumped and he said that he checked the o-ring 3 times to make sure it was sitting correctly before bolting the tube to the oil pump.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-09-2003 | 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: Help! Still got low oil pressure

Now let me add a little more to this. When cold there is no valvetrain noise. After heating up and the pressure drops I can hear the lifters starting to tap. Now from what I heard the only place that air can get into the system is by the o-ring. Once in there I have heard it foams up the oil and air gets trapped in the lifter making it tap.

The question would be if the o-ring sealed then were if the air coming from to make the lifters tap. Again the lifters only tap once the oil pressure tappers off and the motor has heated up.
Old 05-09-2003 | 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Can anyone help me out???
Old 05-09-2003 | 04:04 PM
On The Tree

TTT, So your telling me none of yall have any suggestions???
Old 05-09-2003 | 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

I'm no expert, but I did replce my oil pump and install my own cam so...

If the O-ring was looked at that many times, maybe it is time to look at other possibilities.
For the hell of it, why not order a OEM 2001-2002 oil pump and see how that works out. Also, not sure what exaclt the rebuilt consisted of but could any of your crank bearing be faulty?

BTW what weight oil do you use? Did you ever try 15W-50. I ran that for a while and my oil pressure was practially doubled!

But in any case, maybe someone with more of a clue than me can tell you how to check for a spun crank bearing... That is the only other cause I know of for low oil pressure...

Good luck.

Tommy
Old 05-09-2003 | 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

Default Re: Help! Still got low oil pressure *DELETED*

Post deleted by StevieZ
Old 05-09-2003 | 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Well spoke with MTI about the problem. They said that when they port an oil pump that they shim the relief valve spring to not allow as much oil to excape via the relief. They stated that if this was not done correctly then as the oil heats up and the thinner it gets that could cause the low oil pressure.

Not sure exactly what Katech does when they port the pump but they may have forgotten that on mine. I ordered a new 01 oil pump from SDPC and will try that.

I replaced all of the main and rod bearings and had the used crank polished. So im pretty sure thats not the problem and I have been running 10w30 Valvoline non detergent dino oil. I will let everyone know by Thur what happens.

Trending Topics

Old 05-09-2003 | 09:36 PM
Restricted User

I wouldn't run that thing too long at low oil pressure. I did and I spun 4 rods bearings.
Old 05-10-2003 | 01:58 AM
TECH Regular

Whats normal idle oil pressure on an A4 after its warm?
Old 05-10-2003 | 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

mine runs 28-30 psi at idle in gear. 10-30 redline oil.
Old 05-10-2003 | 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a MTI oil pump with 20-50 Castrol 180 degrees it idles on 55-60 LBS runs at 70 LBS down the road.....I would say you may have a bad pump?? ..... I have also seen a bad Fram filter cuse similar things.. Your lifters can make noise because there is low oil pressure....it is not necessary to have air in the system...
Good Luck...
Old 05-10-2003 | 12:36 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't run that thing too long at low oil pressure. I did and I spun 4 rods bearings.
How long did you run yours at that low of oil pressure. I should have mine worked out by Wed. so I will let everyone know then.
Old 05-11-2003 | 09:20 AM
On The Tree

I have also seen a bad Fram filter cuse similar things..
This was actually this first time I had a Fram filter on the car. So I went out last night and got a new M1-206 and put that on the car. Didnt fix the problem. Hopefully the new oil pump on the way may fix the issue.
Old 05-11-2003 | 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think Katech shims or changes the relief spring in there ported pumps, but my Katech keeps my pressure at 40 (hot idle) and 55 psi (hot highway speed).

I personally don't think there is anything to gain with higher oil pressure than that. If you are getting abnormally low/varying press. after the engine gets up to temp, I think it's an O ring problem or a bearing problem in the motor. More than likely, an O ring. A bad pump normally gets you zero, or next to zero pressure due to a stuck relief valve.

Just my opinion,
Good luck
Ron

Old 05-11-2003 | 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Thats what I thought but I had just replaced all of the mains and rod bearings in the motor with stock size bearings. So that shouldnt be the issue. I had the crank polished and checked with a micrometer at the machine shop and they stated that everything was with stock specs. I got the crank from MTI and they stated that they came out of perfectly running motors.

I have put the o-ring in when I put it together. Also had a local speed shop that has expirence with them put another new one in and its still doing the same thing. Im replacing the oil pump before I tear the motor back apart.

Will let everyone know on Wed how it went.
Old 05-11-2003 | 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good idea. If I was in your shoes, thats what I would do. I hardy doubt you have bearing problems.

Check my new post > "Possible fix for oil pump O ring sealing problems"
Old 05-11-2003 | 10:25 AM
On The Tree

HAHA well you can check my reply. When talking to Jeff at TR a couple days ago your name came up. They explained you had some issues with your o-ring too. Hope I can get my problem worked out.
Thanks for trying to help me out.
Old 05-12-2003 | 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Ok well changed the oil pump to a stock 01 and still having the same problem. If there is anything anyone can think might be the problem please chime in. I have a mechanic researching some possiblities also but Im running out of things to look at.
Old 05-12-2003 | 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

Change the oil pressure sensor. When I replaced my bad one on my old motor the pressure went up (read higher) about 15 PSI across the board. Also, I just switched from 10w30 (dino) to 20w50 (dino) on my new motor and my pressure went up about 8 PSI when hot.
Old 05-12-2003 | 06:57 PM
On The Tree

I had to replace the oil pressure sensor when I put the motor back together because I broke the original. So I know that is good. I guess switching to heavier oil is a short term until I can figure out what to do.