Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about stock crankshaft.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about stock crankshaft.

Ok well I just recently had a motor built with what I thought was all good internals (lunati pro billet rods, diamond pistons and reused the stock crank). well I had about 2000 miles on this setup and blew through the stock graphite head gaskets (i know Im a dumb *** for using those ). By the way I was pushing about 14 lbs of boost. When I got the new mls gaskets and put them on I noticed that the piston skirts looked like they had been rubbing on the cylinder, I thought this may have been due to piston slap on startup ( it wasnt grooves just marks). So I put the car back together and used a wide band to make sure I wasnt running lean and everything checked out ok.
Well at three thousand miles my motor is toast. I spun a rod bearing and for what reason I have no idea and niether does the machine shop that I took it to. They said that the scuffs on the piston skirts (which are really bad) are on the non load side of the piston which doesnt make any sence to them, they say its ushually on the load side.They think it may have somthing to do with the crank. Anyway do you guys think its ok to put 15lbs of boost to the stock crank?
I really wish there was an explination to why it spun the bearing and had so many issues with the pistons, I am worried about doing another build on the stock crank and having somthing happen to it agian. OK IM DONE CRYING