Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scool me on cams for the ls1 and what power to expect

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007 | 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default School me on cams for the ls1 and what power to expect

Was looking into finally getting some real power for the ta (only had the car for 7 years now and look at my sign ) So with that said im planning on getting a cam installed. Future plans (maybe in another 7 years /jk) might be a rear mount turbo. Nothing too big and as far as power goes 450-500rwhp would be fine for me, hey i lived with 300rwhp for 7 years.. I go to the track every so often, like i said 450 or so the the wheels would be plenty.. Now as for cams go what kind of power should i expect to get with only adding a cam to what i have now?

As far as i can tell a tr224 would add around 30 or so hp. What about the others and yes i know about headers or heads to make the cam work better but don't have the scratch for that. So cam only numbers would be nice.

Last edited by BubaGumpShrimp; 08-04-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-04-2007 | 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Doesn't look like you have headers yet, so consider getting all of your supporting mods as it will be a necessity to reach your goal. Also, there are cams out there that will get you to 450 rwhp, but especially in an auto, you're looking at stuff on the ragged edge of streetable. If track use isn't your primary goal, then a good set of heads and a milder cam will make it much easier to reach your rwhp goal in a combination that is drivable.

Take a look at Patrick G's previous setup with the 224/228 110 cam. That cam sounds small, but you have to keep in mind the entire combination of parts used. The heads, headers and exhaust, ported 90/90, !MAF, and spot on tune all work in unison to push what could otherwise be a 450rwhp M6 car over the 500rwhp mark. Read more about it in The "recipe" to 500 rwhp with heads and cam. You may need that kind of extra effort to get 450+ out of an automatic.

edit: added link to 500 recipe thread

Good luck!

Last edited by hammertime; 08-04-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-04-2007 | 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok maybe i should clear a few things up. Im basically looking for basic hp numbers that you could expect from different cams. Im only installing a cam now and in the future i will add either a supercharger or a turbo to the combination to get the rest of the power. I know 450 could be done with a big cam as well as just adding a supercharger and boosting the crap out of the motor. As of right now i only have the money for a cam install(nothing else) and was basically wondering the power increase each cam would get me right now with the mods i have. An example would be

Hot cam = +20hp
tr224 = +30hp
228 cam = +35hp

and so on..........

i don't want to get too radical with the cam and have my eyes on a 224 (had a 224/224 in my elcamino which was good) but if i start seeing that if i go with a 226 or a 228 cam and would get 20hp more i just might go for that one instead.
Old 08-04-2007 | 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, 450+ from the final product would be a lot easier. Its far easier, and less costly, to look at the final result and build in that direction.

An off the shelf 224-228 cam will probably be marginal at best without headers. If you are doing the tuning with LS1 edit yourself (or not including that in your budget) it could work. A better alternative would be to either choose a cam that works with a stock exhaust (CheaTR or similar custom grind), knowing that it will improve later with headers, heads, forced induction, or whatever you might throw at it; or to start with headers to make the most power with a cam you'll choose later as funds allow.

A look at STS's site shows they were able to produce 414rwhp from just 5psi. Presumably, a supercharger with similar levels of boost would get you close as well. Since it would appear that is the direction you want to go, I would suggest you look to the forced induction forum for advice on a cam that would be optimal with such a setup later.

Hopefully, that's a little closer to the mark...
Old 08-04-2007 | 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hammertime
Well, 450+ from the final product would be a lot easier. Its far easier, and less costly, to look at the final result and build in that direction.

An off the shelf 224-228 cam will probably be marginal at best without headers. If you are doing the tuning with LS1 edit yourself (or not including that in your budget) it could work. A better alternative would be to either choose a cam that works with a stock exhaust (CheaTR or similar custom grind), knowing that it will improve later with headers, heads, forced induction, or whatever you might throw at it; or to start with headers to make the most power with a cam you'll choose later as funds allow.

A look at STS's site shows they were able to produce 414rwhp from just 5psi. Presumably, a supercharger with similar levels of boost would get you close as well. Since it would appear that is the direction you want to go, I would suggest you look to the forced induction forum for advice on a cam that would be optimal with such a setup later.

Hopefully, that's a little closer to the mark...
Your avatar is so wrong man! Chuck is better than all lol! Sorry for the off subject