Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Fluid Temps

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Fluid Temps

I just finished up my new setup with a Texas Speed forged 347 shortblock and Procharger D1SC kit, I installed all new Cyberdyne Temperature Gauges and now that I have the car on the street, according to the gauges the coolant temp is fine and at normal temps but after driving the car for a half hour the oil temp and transmission temps are up in the 260's and the gauges flash "HI". The oil temp climbs extremely fast and the trans temp is more gradual. What are some possible issues that I should be troubleshooting here?
Old 08-16-2007, 04:56 PM

did you replace the thermo stat also try put a trans cooler and a slp switch and the oil temp raising so fast is probably from the supercharger getting to hot
Old 08-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

Bring It Up
Old 08-20-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where do you have your engine oil temp sender?

mine is in the plate above the oil filter.
mine sits about 2" from the catalytic converter, as a result ambient air heats the sensor and if I'm in traffic or going < 20mph for any period of time, especially in hot humid weather, my oil temp goes hi on the gauge. And if I manually turn my radiator fans on, I watch the oil temp gauge go up a degree every seconds to HI. Turn the fans off and in a minute or two the gauge reading comes back down.
I've had mine for maybe 2 years now, and i'm on my 2nd sender. I have heat shield tubing around the sender and wire coming out of it for 2 feet but it's on it's way out again, gauge will read LO half the time. Next time I change the oil I'll probably go through the wiring, but i'm 98% sure the wire coming out of the sender is breaking internally because of catalytic converter heat. That's exactly what happened with the first sender.

I also have a 2nd sender in the drain plug on the T56, that's been fine since day 1. It reads as expected, very slow to go up in temp and usually only gets to 120-130. If I drive for 100 miles in hot weather then I will see around 160-170F, and that's the 6-speed T56 by the way. I would expect a lot hotter on an auto trans.
When my engine oil sender works, it works as expected. My engine oil temps lag quite a bit from coolant temps- coolant temps get to 200F in 10-15 minutes or 5 miles, my oil temps in that time will only be 100-130F, and will take another 10 miles or 10-20 minutes to get up to 180+ F.

my question is, where in the oil pan can I tap a 1/8 npt hole safely?
I've sort of looked for adapters to go from oil drain plug, 14mm I think, to 1/8npt but never found any.

Can anyone confirm the engine oil pan drain plug thread size and pitch?