Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has an ARE 436ci stroker motor?????????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 05:44 PM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Who has an ARE 436ci stroker motor?????????????

Not to hijack the post or anything, but has anyone had a dyno tune by Ed Wright? I have a mail order PCM from him and I'm having all sort of problems with my A4 not shifting during WOT. Maybe he can make it up that way???
Old 05-26-2003, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was an M6 car, but hey, it was a 40 rwhp gain, just with better tuning.
Sweet, 40 more would put me at 510 in my A4 Can you say 10's?
I just hope I can get half that, I'd be happy with 20 more.

Thanks
470 rwhp should EASILY put you in the 10s the way your car sits right now. Mail-order tuning is a no-no, especially with so much money already invested in the motor. LS1-edit tuning with a wideband is a MUST for any big motor or high-compression combo!
Old 05-26-2003, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check with Ed about getting your money back. It may be possible if you agree to send your PCM back to him and have it reflashed to stock.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude,

We do have similar set-ups indeed and my MTI motor uses the S1 cam with specs of 244/244, .612 lift and 112 lsa and im running 11:25 to 1 compresion on pump gas but also running an irnblock vs your alum sleeve. 500rwhp your expecting is very difficult to achieve on a big stalled A4 with gears without going solid roller. I would reflash back to stock and get an excellent local ls1 tuner to get you on a dyno and redial you in and i bet you bull 480rwhp (which is about 600 crank) and close to 500rwtq!

Best of luck. Forget the mail order tune with you big investmnet you need to get dialed in live on a dyno by a pro. Jayson at MTI dialed me in and he knows his ****.After my motor gets broken in (only ahs 1600 miles) i bet i see 480rwhp and someting tells me i am running rich fromMTI and may lean out a tad with my MAF T to pick up a few more hidden horsies!
Old 05-26-2003, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry I haven't returned your call Lyle, I had plans over the holidays

Just give me a ring during the week and we'll get this straight if you're ready for me to fix up his f ups
Old 05-28-2003, 12:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Sorry I haven't returned your call Lyle, I had plans over the holidays

Just give me a ring during the week and we'll get this straight if you're ready for me to fix up his f ups
No problem. I have to get a compression check and a leakdown check done this week to see if the detonation hurt anything. I got the Taylor wires and new plugs today, maybe that will solve the problem if it was a bad wire at WOT. Wishful thinking huh?

I asked Ed the other day why my knock sensors picked up all kinds of knock at part throttle, 11 degrees, but doesn't pick up the crazy marble sounds at WOT, he doesn't know, he just said my motor was messed up or something else is wrong. He also told me that he blocked the misfire codes, like you said
He said the light load area of my spark tables are stock and that 26 degrees of timing advance is plenty for my motor.

Later.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I asked Ed the other day why my knock sensors picked up all kinds of knock at part throttle, 11 degrees, but doesn't pick up the crazy marble sounds at WOT, he doesn't know, he just said my motor was messed up or something else is wrong. He also told me that he blocked the misfire codes, like you said
He said the light load area of my spark tables are stock and that 26 degrees of timing advance is plenty for my motor. Later.
That would be the standard Ed answer I have heard so many times. Can't be the tuner so it must be the motor.

When I finally gave up on Ed after mucho and I had to have my PCM reflashed back to stock and begin all over again. Ed does lock his computers so you'll never be able to tell for sure what he did. Sounds to me like he has de-sensitized you knock sensors to the point of uselessness. The marbles sound like detonation to me and is more than likely a tuning and fuel issue than a hurt motor. If you keep listening to Ed and don't get that that thing tuned soon he will be right about the motor because it will let go.

Are there any well known tuners in Fla. that have a wide band and dyno. If noting else strap it down and the wide band will tell you for sure how lean it's running

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted out soon

Paul
Old 05-28-2003, 07:53 AM
TECH Veteran

I had an Ed Wright program with my first 383(RIP). The tuning was adequate. Ed knew all the parameters for the motor including that it was primarily a nitrous motor.

Well after a thrown rod and figuring that detonation had something to do with it. I came to the realization that the knock sensors were probably disabled. I had always run alot of juice and always though I was safe since no knock was present. How wrong I was.

After building the new motor I did some testing and concluded the knock sensors must be disabled. Luckily my Ed wright program was old enough it was not locked. I used a local guy , Fasterproms, to go into the program and see what was up. And sure enough he had some parameters off scale that would not allow the sensors to be within a specific window to operate. I believe it was the MAP setting. The values were reversed. We set the valuse so that I would see a max knock retard of 5 degrees and KR would be enabled between X MAP and Y MAP. And whaddya know...damn knock sensors worked.

I also worked on Vinces car. I am convinced his was the same way and caused an early death to his motor as well. I do take some responsability for my motors early death since there were other factors. But detonation and no KR function had a part. Especially when you are looking for KR as a key indicator of engine tune. And I was assured by Ed they were not deleted.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What in the world is Ed Wright doing? Why would you desensitize knock to the point of no knock not registering on Autotap at all? Makes you think your motor is running well.....ha! And turning off misfire codoes @ WOT??? I don't understand. There are different ways to fix these 2 problems and disabling the PCM is not one of them. Sheesh, I'll NEVER get mail order tune from him.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

This sucks man, not one positive thing about Ed.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:35 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing I can say positive is my cam only setup was running like a raped ape on Ed's tuning. The funny thing is I never saw any knock with that tune either.. I bet if people go back and think about their setups slowly crashing a while back they will find a direct connection with their motor and Ed Wright.. Even when I think back I remember Ed telling me the entire time that my installers must have did something wrong and that it could not be the tuning.. I got slapped around by two people. The head porter that lied about how much he milled off the heads and Ed who lied about the knock sensors.. Everyone is giving you good advice.. Go back to Norris Motorsports and let Tim and Richie tune your car.. You can take it to the local dealer in Orlando and have them flash it while the car is at their shop.. You cant take shortcuts on setups like yours..
Old 05-28-2003, 04:08 PM
12 Second Club

FWIW, I got a mail order tune from Ed Wright when I had my heads/cam done. (Before LS1-edit was available).

I spend 4 months chasing down a crank position relearn code which no Tech II could get done.

The problem was the ECM he sent me. One new ECM + factory program + LS1 Edit = no problems.

Not only did I have no problems getting the crank position relearn done, the car had LOADS more drivability and no surging/stalling. I didn't get a chance to dyno with the Ed WRight ECM for fear of the CPS code, but the new tune made the old tune feel like I was dragging a parachute behind the car.

At no time during the conversations I had with their shop did they have any doubt that the ECM was fine and the tune was fine.

Thanks for nuttin'. Reading this thread only convinces me more and more that I did the right thing.

Bad30th
Old 05-28-2003, 04:58 PM
TECH Veteran

The only thing I can say positive is my cam only setup was running like a raped ape on Ed's tuning. The funny thing is I never saw any knock with that tune either.. I bet if people go back and think about their setups slowly crashing a while back they will find a direct connection with their motor and Ed Wright.. Even when I think back I remember Ed telling me the entire time that my installers must have did something wrong and that it could not be the tuning.. I got slapped around by two people. The head porter that lied about how much he milled off the heads and Ed who lied about the knock sensors.. Everyone is giving you good advice.. Go back to Norris Motorsports and let Tim and Richie tune your car.. You can take it to the local dealer in Orlando and have them flash it while the car is at their shop.. You cant take shortcuts on setups like yours..
I hear ya man. I'm having the motor checked out tomorrow, compression, leakdown, pistons, etc.... If the motor is perfect than it's the tune. I'll ask for a refund then have it done with LS1 Edit on a dyno.
This is making this whole journey UN-Fun.

Old 05-28-2003, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: no stops signs, no speed limits .... on a highway to hell

Not to hijack the post or anything, but has anyone had a dyno tune by Ed Wright? I have a mail order PCM from him and I'm having all sort of problems with my A4 not shifting during WOT. Maybe he can make it up that way???
yes and it wasn't much better ... believe me we had our go rounds. Also, he reports against STD numbers instead of SAE to inflate dyno numbers. I wouldn't recommend Ed for anything other than a going out of business sale.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:57 PM
Teching In

It to me also sounds like the tune if it happened immediatly after, but when did the excessive oil consumption start. If the consumpion happened after the (assumed) loud detonation it probably hurt something. But excessive oil consumption before the fact can lead to detonation(excessive carbon build up,etc).I still agree 100% that if it is that audible it should show knock. I don't care if actual detonation or catostophic engine noise. Even excessive engine noise should show knock.
If your really being honest with all of us that started as soon as the pcm was installed and not "well maybe a little later" , it should be cut and dried you got a bad tune. Is it the chicken or the egg????
Old 05-28-2003, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

It to me also sounds like the tune if it happened immediatly after, but when did the excessive oil consumption start. If the consumpion happened after the (assumed) loud detonation it probably hurt something. But excessive oil consumption before the fact can lead to detonation(excessive carbon build up,etc).I still agree 100% that if it is that audible it should show knock. I don't care if actual detonation or catostophic engine noise. Even excessive engine noise should show knock.
If your really being honest with all of us that started as soon as the pcm was installed and not "well maybe a little later" , it should be cut and dried you got a bad tune. Is it the chicken or the egg????
Norris finished my car and I picked it up on Feb. 2nd. For the following 3 months the motor ran like a charm, smooth and powerful as hell, ZERO knock or any kind of noise. It dynoed 485 RWHP at 5,000 rpm, it had to be aborted because my fuel pressure died at 4,800 rpm. I got the Racetronix fuel system installed 4 weeks ago and Ed re-tuned my PCM 3 weeks ago. It's running like crap now.
The oil burn has been bad since I picked the car up in Feb. The rings are set-up for nitrous from what I was told so oil burn is expected. I called Norris Motorsports during that 3 month period to let him know about the oil burn so there's no question when it started, thats why I called him from time-to-time, so there's a record of it. It burned the 1.5 qrts in 320 miles 2 weeks ago. But I've been checking it since then and it's not going at that rate anymore, it's stabilized in the hatch marks on the dip stick. Granted, I'm driving it like my grandma drives. I can handle a qrt every 1,000.
Tomorrow things start to get in order.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

Did you test your car with the Racetronix fuel system BEFORE Ed Wright re-tune? The new fuel system could be a reason for messing things up.

bottum line, do a compression check & if everything is okay then put your car on a dyno & see what's going on with your A/F ratio.

oh btw, I have Ed Wright tunning for my 427 & it works great!
Old 05-29-2003, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

Good post midwest...I was reading this whole thread all the while wondering why no one ever picked that up. First off, your KR is working or you wouldn't be getting the 11 degrees you see. I just don't think the PCM is capable of pulling any more out. So as your cylinder pressures rise at the higher RPMs you get audible knock.
This might not be a bad tune at all because the amount of oil consumption you describe is a sure cause of excessive detonation.
Figure out the oil consumption before deciding you've got a bad tune.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Tuning by mail order is always a gamble. I suffered the same knock problem on a heads/cam car after three attempts with Ed Wright. Since Mike Norris now can tune on the dyno I had mine done a month ago. The knock is all gone and it runs better than ever. Being able to tune right on the dyno is going to get you the most power and a quick street check for knock after that will ensure your happiness. Call Mike!
Old 05-29-2003, 11:56 AM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Java, I wont waste my time then. I'm going to swap out my pcm with a friends to see if my problems persist or not.

Quick Reply: Who has an ARE 436ci stroker motor?????????????