Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 burning LOTS OF OIL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 burning LOTS OF OIL?

My friend has a 2000 ls1 corvette. He had a reputable shop in which whom is a sponsor of this forum perform a heads cam swap. After the swap, his car is now burning excessive amounts of oil. On a 120 mile road trip it burned a complete qt! the shop replaced the block due to some sort of disaster. A new block was put in place and they installed the heads and cam. The car runs fine with the exception that it burns lots of oil. I do not wish to give out the name of this shop because Im not on here to bash anyone. Just here to find out what your opinions are. What could cause this? My thoughts were... PCV system but there is no oil in the intake. My other thoughts were possibly the rings did not break in properly or a valve seal went bad. Does this sound logical to any of you? He spent 10K on the motor and cant drive the car like this.

Input is appreciated.

Jeff
Old 08-22-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd take it back to the shop and make them fix it since its their **** up.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Launching!

10K...i'd be in front of the door of the shop that put it together. If they are a reputable shop, then they'll probably take care of it.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default too long

The guy has not driven it since the install other than home. The car has the same mileage but its been a few years since the work was done. Car has about 30k miles. I doubt the shop would do anything since its been so long and Im not going to blame them for it. Probably something called bad luck and its simple like a valve seal. Thats why im asking for possible suggestions.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:25 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Pull the valve covers and have a look at the seals. Very easy job and you'll see if any of the little springs are gone or seals damaged etc. For it to consume that much oil it would have to be major. You could also try removing the oil fill cap and replace it with a filter then unplug the PCV and see if that helps to find/eliminate those causes. If none of those turn up the issue do a leakdown test on the cylinders to see if its rings. Should find it by checking those things.

Sitting engines especially when fresh is not good at all. Rings can marry into the cylinders and leave rust then on start up ruin the rings. Its not the shops fault if its a two year old build IMO
Old 08-23-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id check the valve seals. What heads are on the car? i know some heads had oil problems due to bad or loose valve guids.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

cracked valve guides possibly? What heads? hand finished catings im guessing
Old 08-23-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I experienced this same thing when I did a cam swap. After going over everything else, the valve seals were the only likely cause. I pulled them all off and there didn't appear to be anything wrong with them. I compared them to the new set and the only difference I noticed were the seal bores were a little larger. The springs were intact and there was no obvious damage. Put the new ones on and problem solved.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would check the PCV system and the valve seals. It could be an oil ring on one of your pistons too.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Galant was the guy who did the heads. Im guessing it is a bad seal. That is a good starting point. Hopefully it wont be to labor intense

Jeff
Old 08-24-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hear he is good but the first set of heads he did for this car, he ran into a water jacket and I believe that is why the motor blew. Thats the reasoning for new block from what I understand.