Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holes in pistons, cracked rings...................

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holes in pistons, cracked rings...................

The guy that was going to my leakdown check and compression check tomorrow night asked me 15 minutes ago on the phone, "what is the car doing?" I told him the motor sounds perfect and runs smooth as long as I don't go WOT. When I go WOT thats when I feel and hear major detonation. There's no smoke coming out of the pipes in the morning or when I'm driving. It simply runs great. No SES codes, nothing. (Ed probably turned that sensor(s) off anyway)

He was being honest by telling me that I would waisting my money ($175) by having him do these checks. He said there's nothing wrong with my pistons or rings if the motor is running that good.

Is that diagnosis that simple? Should I just go ahead and have it tuned with LS1 Edit without doing those checks?
My head is really starting to hurt now!!!!
Old 05-28-2003, 08:29 PM
7 Second Club

Default Re: Holes in pistons, cracked rings...................

I would have the car dyno-tuned and forget about the other tests.I think the responses you received in your other thread should indicate where the problem is.Kudos too the guy that gave you honest advice on the leakdown,etc.Good luck
Old 05-28-2003, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Thats what I'm gonna do, I just didn't want to tune a car that truly had internal problems. ARE asked me to do a leakdown check to see if the rings were cracked. I will skip the tests, I just want to know if my pistons and rings are OK.

If it's driving great can I still have cracked rings and/or trashed pistons?
Old 05-29-2003, 06:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lyle,

The main reason you are doing a leakdown & compression test is for the excessive oil use you said you have and why ARE requested one. Not for the "driveability" issues. Mention that to the tech and see what he says. I agree he may not find anything as it is not a great test for the oil control rings, but to let ARE know the results is the main reason.

Mike
Old 05-29-2003, 06:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been following your threads for a while now.It seems very simple to me.After you got mail tuning the car runs like crap??Simple answer-the tuning sucks!!Not hard to figure out.
If I was you I would not drive the car till it's tuned right,your definitly not helping save the motor by driving it the way it is now.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If my car was using 1 quart per 350 miles then a leakdown test or at least a compression test would be the 1st thing I would do. Oil in the combustion chamber could be a contributing factor to your detonation.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It simply runs great.
I think that a 436 would probably nfeel like it is running great even on 6 cylinders .

With the consumption I would definately do a leak down test first, especially since you have experienced what sounds to me like pretty major detonation. A stroker motor will use a little more oil than an all bore or 346 (all else equal), so you may be fine. Would not hurt to check though. Hope it turns out well.

-Nick
Old 05-29-2003, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

PS: Why did you end up having it Re-tuned by Ed? Did ARE reccomend that?
Old 05-29-2003, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I certainly don't understand why your retuned it either if it was running great as you said before??????????? If you have been driving around for a while with this detonation problem, chances are you might have hurt it by now. Please take it off the road until this is solved. Get the leakdown as ARE suggested and use it as a diagnostic tool for your internals, you didn't mention the oil burning problem before.

I though Mike had a dyno and tuning capabilities maybe I'm wrong? Since Mike installed the motor why not work with him and ARE to tune it???? Good luck and get that ED WRONG virus out of that car.

Paul
Old 05-30-2003, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

PS: Why did you end up having it Re-tuned by Ed? Did ARE reccomend that?
He had already been paid. If he would have given me a refund I would have had Mike Norris do it with LS1 Edit on his dyno. Another $500 would have been a grand for tuning so I thought I would see what Ed could do.
ALLOT of people told me that mail order tuning CANNOT work for a motor like this, guess they were right.
My friend here in town has LS1 Edit and will do it for me for $150, there's a dynojet here that charges $50.00 for 3 pulls, I guess thats the answer.