Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems after cam install-MAP codes, and cyl #1-

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems after cam install-MAP codes, and cyl #1-

I installed a cam in a 02 Z28 M6 for a freind a few weekends ago. The cam is the hotcam Ihave done a few of these installs and have not had any problems other then idle issues. on this car I keep getting a map sensor code and it showed 159 missfires on cyl 1, so we changed the coil out and the map sensor. The coil did nothing but the MAP sensor fixed itfor a lil while, resetting the computer works to but after it runs for a lil while it will it starts acting up again. Could this be a problem with the cam itself or matby I did somthing wrong on the install? Or could tuning fix the problem. Any sugestions please.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-28-2003, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: problems after cam install-MAP codes, and cyl #1-

SO yo uhave made sure there were no vaccum leaks the MAP was plugged in right? ATAP the car and tell us what the MAP readings were at idle and WOT. WOT they shoudl defintely be near barometric.
\
With a cam (less vacuum) and a dead cylinder (#1 is not firing at all, try new plug, wires coil pack and if that dont work check to see if that cylidner is gettign fuel swap an injector)vacuum coudl be wacky enough to trip the MAP
Old 05-29-2003, 09:26 AM
Teching In

hey you have to send ur computer to get the timing done send to ed wright fast chip
Old 05-29-2003, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Granny the car is Tims 02 Z28 (Z28GSXRTIM) off of EFA I gave him a coil to try and a new MAP sensor off of my car he said that took care of the problem breifly I installed it for him so I am tryig to help him with his problem. When Harold ATAPed it for him last weekend it showed those codes so I tried the coil and MAP sensor, when that did not work I told him to call Jason from Fbody central and see if they can figure it out. Because it has me lost. He said he PM him last night about bringing it up and getting it looked at.

Thanks for the info,
Mark
Old 05-29-2003, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

it puzzled the hell outta me. When i erased the MAP SES the car ran twice as better. Let me know how it goes Mark
Old 05-29-2003, 09:15 PM
Launching!

i had the same problem heres how i fixed it simple i pulled the intake off and it had a gasket side ways on it so i bought a new set and put it back together and its fixed hope this helps
Old 05-30-2003, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

we did not pull the intake though. and I dot hear a vac leak
Old 05-31-2003, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the map code i wouldn't worry about too much...it might be the result of the cylinder not firing correctly...

i had a problem where 7 and 8 would misfire under wot in 2nd and 3rd...i did plugs, wires, coil packs, injectors..did a leakdown test...i was stumped...i finally pulled the rocker arms off...couldnt find the problem. put it all back together and it dissapeared...i think the rocker might not have been at 22lbs or seated on the valve right...you might try that
Old 05-31-2003, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i also got the map code 106 after putting in my cam...i had it a notch off...it worked itself out and doesnt throw the code anymore
Old 05-31-2003, 01:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

We put one in one of our customer cars a while back and it had a rough idle condition, and under wot it ran fine for awhile and then would start to stumble.
Atapped it and narrowed the miss to number 5.
It turned out a little oil had gotten into the injector lead.
We chased everything on that cylinder,(coil, plug, wire, injector, possible leak in head gasket, and all it needed was a little cleaning on that FI plug.
Could've possibly happened to you if they hung low enough in the head/rocker arm area.

Quick Reply: problems after cam install-MAP codes, and cyl #1-