Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with my engine... (Spun Bearing)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with my engine... (Spun Bearing)

Sooo... I went to the strip last Friday in Sealy, Tx, made some decent runs on street tires with my stereo crap left in, and went to make my last run, when something felt funny shifting into 2nd. I got to the end of the track, got off of the gas, and it died. I knew immediately that (obviously) something was horribly wrong. Once I finally rolled to the staging area, after listening to it knock, I killed it about to cry. Fortunately Steve from MTI just happened to be out there and listened to it and said he thought I spun a bearing. Well after a 2 hour tow truck ride cramped inside a cab with my friend Kyle as well as the driver, we finally made it back to college station, and we dropped it where it's still sitting now. I talked to a shop today cuz I have NO place to do my own work, and they said just to pull the oil pan and check out the rods for me would cost about $350. And I have no specialty shops here in CS that could do all the work for me, so I really don't feel like paying someone JUST to get the rods checked. I'm now trying to figure out what I should do. Should I just get some regular shop here in town to check it out, get my crank ground/replaced whichever is needed and replace any rods that got damaged? Or would it be better to just go ahead and bore the cylinders to 347 and smooth them and do a stroker setup? Time isn't really an issue, because it wasn't my daily driver. I can save up enough for a stroker, so money isn't too big of a deal right now either. Or should I bore it to 370 ci? or buy a new shortblock? If I bore my current block to 347 or 370 CI, will my heads still fit properly? Will they need to be re-ported? How about the cam, will a 230/228 112 still work for that type of a setup? I'm pretty much lost on this type of thing, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

I'm in the same spot you are. I want to bore my block but I was told that the 98 blocks cylinder liners are thinner than the 99 and up blocks and cant be bored as much. So now I guess I need a 99+ used motor are a new shortblock. Sucks!! I 'd like to hear some more on this ? also.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

i would just say save up the money for a built 347 short block and do a simple shortblock swap
Old 09-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Resonance2010
Should I just get some regular shop here in town to check it out, get my crank ground/replaced whichever is needed and replace any rods that got damaged? Or would it be better to just go ahead and bore the cylinders to 347 and smooth them and do a stroker setup? Time isn't really an issue, because it wasn't my daily driver. I can save up enough for a stroker, so money isn't too big of a deal right now either. Or should I bore it to 370 ci? or buy a new shortblock? If I bore my current block to 347 or 370 CI, will my heads still fit properly? Will they need to be re-ported? How about the cam, will a 230/228 112 still work for that type of a setup? I'm pretty much lost on this type of thing, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
You're pretty much lost on a lot of things.. but I'll see if I can help you on that.

1) Why do you think you need to bore your cylinders? If you spun a bearing, you shouldn't need more than a quick hone. You didn't drop a valve or something like that. And iif you did for some reason need more than a hone, your block is junk, you have a 98.

2) You can get a 347 from a bored LS1 block, but a 370 requires a new block, you cannot bore a block out to a 4 inch bore.

3) Your heads will fit on any LS block. Changing a few CI you wouldn't need to report.

4) Your cam will be fine in a 347 or 370. A 370 you could go a couple degrees bigger on each lobe, but if it's worth it is up to you.

5) I would buy a forged 347.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Asmodeus

Just for reiteration.

Then nitrous.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
You're pretty much lost on a lot of things.. but I'll see if I can help you on that.

1) Why do you think you need to bore your cylinders? If you spun a bearing, you shouldn't need more than a quick hone. You didn't drop a valve or something like that. And iif you did for some reason need more than a hone, your block is junk, you have a 98.

2) You can get a 347 from a bored LS1 block, but a 370 requires a new block, you cannot bore a block out to a 4 inch bore.

3) Your heads will fit on any LS block. Changing a few CI you wouldn't need to report.

4) Your cam will be fine in a 347 or 370. A 370 you could go a couple degrees bigger on each lobe, but if it's worth it is up to you.

Thanks man... when I said bore out to a 347 I meant hone, i just didnt know the right term... basically just a good "smoothing". So either a forged 347 or boring mine to 347 and putting in a Lunati Stroker kit is what it's looking like... Thanks for your help man. Any other input is quite welcome.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

save your money get a TSP 347 forged bottom end like $2800 i think...and start fresh