Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it ok to buy a used cam??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 01:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it ok to buy a used cam??

I can get the exact grind i was going to spend 400 dollars for for 250 bucks. It has less the 1000 miles on it. He's sending me pictures now..

What are your guys thoughts?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of people use used cams, some will say go for it and some will say spend the extra couple hundred for insurance reason. To be honest, not sure if I would but it really shouldn't be a problem. Especially with only 1000 miles.

If he's an honest seller and came out of a good running motor, go for it. New cams (NIB) sell for cheap prices in the for sale section too. I picked up a new one with an LS2 chain for a pretty fair price. Just act fast.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have bought & ran 2 used cams without problems, just make sure the surfaces are all good
Old 09-18-2007, 09:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like said, if there isn't any visual damage it's perfectly fine to run used roller cams. I bought mine used for dirt cheap on here.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

I would think it would be fine. It's not like you are trying to reuse a flat tappet cam or something like that. I am looking for a cam as we speak. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:13 AM
10 Second Club

Its cool with the type of cams lsx motors use, namely hyd. roller. Not such a good idea with flat tappet type of cams unless you can buy the lifters it was broke in on.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:03 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am on my 5th used cam. Never a problem. I have only bought 2 cams. The rest were trades. Hydraulic roller cams should not "wear out" exactly. Mechanical, flat tappet or solid roller cams mate to the lifters like was said above. Kinda like a condoms. Install 1 time.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Closed Sponsor Account

You want to watch for pitting, or excessive wear or scoring on the cams bearings. You also want to check for any grooves created by excessive lifter wear. As stated previously though, a hydraulic lifte is pretty gentle on a cam!
Also, watch for tiny bits of rust...sometimes cams sit on the shelf and aren't oiled. Moisture can cause small build ups of rust. If that is the case, I would buy new or have it machined.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nevr had a probs with any used cams in ls motors,
even with hi miles ls6 cams or others
have gone thru about 5 used cams
Old 09-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Banned

notihn wrong with them at all do u wanna buy my used one TREX?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

What about used springs?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Ive got used cam, springs and pushrods in my car......been running just fine for about almost a year now.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Im actually about to start looking for a cheap used baby cam to throw in until i can afford heads and get a lil bigger cam. go for it!
Old 09-19-2007, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

I got a used Comp 224 for sale. Here's a link to the thread, with idle vid.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/781150-cam-gaskets-ls1-internals-sub-box.html#post7805369

might be what your looking for
Old 09-19-2007, 05:21 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Have the seller send you clearly focused pictures of the following two areas of caution:
1. Be sure that the bearing surfaces and the cam lobes are smooth and the cam visually looks OK (others have mentioned this too).
2. Get a picture of the rear of the cam that shows the part number of the cam. A number of people have been deceived that the cam they are buying is a specific aftermarket grind. Then a cam is shipped in the Comp/Crane/other aftermarket manufacturer's box. The cam inside is the stock cam out of the seller's vehicle.

Most people are good honest sellers and buyers. I wouldn't hesitate to buy and install a used hydraulic roller cam that was in good shape.

Steve
Old 09-19-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
Have the seller send you clearly focused pictures of the following two areas of caution:
1. Be sure that the bearing surfaces and the cam lobes are smooth and the cam visually looks OK (others have mentioned this too).
2. Get a picture of the rear of the cam that shows the part number of the cam. A number of people have been deceived that the cam they are buying is a specific aftermarket grind. Then a cam is shipped in the Comp/Crane/other aftermarket manufacturer's box. The cam inside is the stock cam out of the seller's vehicle.

Most people are good honest sellers and buyers. I wouldn't hesitate to buy and install a used hydraulic roller cam that was in good shape.

Steve
****, thats dirty. I haven't had a problem with the 10 transaction I've made on here in 2-3 months, but you do have to watch out though. There are scammers on there, but take the advice above and go for it.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:45 AM
TECH Addict

What about used springs?
I personally would never install used springs. You never know exactly how long they were in service, whether they were installed at the correct spring height, whether they ever went into coil bind, whether they were ever over revved.

With aftermarket springs capable of handling higher lifts (.600-.650) it's normal to check all springs after a certain amount of time and on a regular basis. At a certain point, even springs you purchased new will need to be replaced.

I'm certainly not gonna risk destroying my engine over saving a couple dollars on used springs. Nor on the word of someone selling as to the above concerns on how the springs were treated.

Now a roller cam, on the other hand, is a different story. I agree with the others as to if the condition of the roller surfaces and bearing surfaces are visually OK - then used cam would be fine to use. Make sure cam has markings on end that correspond to the appropriate specs as mentioned.

-Jay-
Old 09-20-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
I agree I got ripped that way the guy took forever to ship then he shipped me a stock 98 cam. I couldn't and dind't reallized this until it was installed, since I didn't new how to identify the cam. So I had to spen yet another weekend in the garage and more money getting another cam in the car.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Get a pic of the back end of the camshaft. Comp Cams engraves what the camshaft is along with a serial number on the back of the cam. I had bought a used G5X3 on here. It still had the numbers engraved on the back and so I called CC and they e-mailed me the complete cam card. Mine turned out to be a clone with the same lobe profiles ordered by another company...but I got to know exactly what I had. Haven't had any problems out of it and the previous owner of the cam just didn't know it was a clone as he had bought it used also.

Galen
Old 09-21-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've resold both of my used cams so far. They still looked new when you took them out and no complaints so far.And I always shipped out my used cams in a Tube type container wrapped in buble wrap. Check their trader rating before you buy or ask around about somebody you aren't too sure about.

Quick Reply: Is it ok to buy a used cam??