Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The hunt begins...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The hunt begins... (Split Rocker)

In a little while a couple of friends and I are going to begin our hunt for the cause of my ridiculous knocking in the firebird. We're gonna try and drain the oil pan to check for metal, and hopefully pull the valve covers etc. and check the pushrods. I'll keep you guys updated with pics that we'll be using for reference, and probably at least one good one of all the zip-loc baggies.

Last edited by Resonance2010; 09-25-2007 at 11:52 AM. Reason: update
Old 09-24-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right on, these are always good threads to follow. Now you get to build it stronger!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So... I walked up to my car prepared to fill it with a little extra oil and drive it around the corner into my driveway so i could begin my work. Unfortunately, I found this:

So after calling the non-emergency number, answering about 20 questions, and one hit and run report later, I moved the car to my driveway, and it didn't sound too bad at all after cooling off for a week and all lubed up. After a few struggles with the fuel line connections, I ended up lugging this:

Then:

Finally came the removal of the driver's side rockers.

Here's one set:

Dang.

What do you guys think? Think this could be the cause of my knocking? Wednesday I think we're gonna pull the passenger valve covers (pain) and the oil pan. More updates to come.