Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Won't start

Okay, really frustrated now. After a couple years of the Turbo TA being down, we finally got the 6.0L bolted in, oil, coolant, electronics, etc and go to fire it up. Thing cranks perfectly, but we did notice when you turn the key to the run position, in the center of the dash we hear a relay, and along with that relay clicking on and off about every second like a clock, the high beam light is illuminated, as are both turn signals like the hazards are on. I can turn the hazards on and both lights light like they should, but it still pulses. When I turn the key off, the guages sweep. The fuel pump doesn't turn on but is getting voltage. What the crap are we missing? Car won't start, turns over great, but nada pinyata! Suggestions are greatly appreciated at this point!
Old 10-04-2007, 11:22 PM
12 Second Club

TTT guys, please?
Old 10-05-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you missed at least one ground. Go back thru the harness, every inch, checking for a loose ground lead.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Gonna look into it tomorrow. Thanks! =\
Old 10-07-2007, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

Not sure if this is normal or not, but the relay for the fuel pump isn't closing. We measure it and get 12.8v on one post, and just over 7v on another... This goes away when the key is off. The clicking goes away if I remove the "Gauges" fuse in the car (naturally). Know where I can find a wiring schematic of this car?! Thanks again guys!
Old 10-08-2007, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

On ls1howto, under head/cam swap, they talk about 3 grounding wires on the back of the passenger head held on by two different bolts. Are any of these the black wire with soldered aluminum head that they refer to that goes to the PCM? If so, this is probably my problem. My friend was doing the wiring for the car, and we're not 100% sure we got them all taken care of. I have a longer copper grounding strap loose that isn't connected to anything, in the pictures on ls1howto it looks like it's connected down by the alternator to the frame or something, can't see where it terminates. People are saying it is IMPERITIVE to ground battery to motor, motor to body, motor to frame. Where EXACTLY do the 3 grounding wires on the back of the head go? Thanks in advance guys, I REALLY appreciate it!
Old 10-08-2007, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a passanger side ground problem on my H/C swap also. When I got them straightened out it fired right up. I had tried to put them all on the same bolt figuring it would work cause it wouldbe grounded, but it didn't. I had to put them exactly like they were when I removed them before it would fire up.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
I had a passanger side ground problem on my H/C swap also. When I got them straightened out it fired right up. I had tried to put them all on the same bolt figuring it would work cause it wouldbe grounded, but it didn't. I had to put them exactly like they were when I removed them before it would fire up.
Now that is some crazy crap, I'll keep that in mind. Any ideas as to what voltages I SHOULD be seeing at the relay for the fuel pump cuz that sucker flat out doesn't come on. It's a racetronix with their harness, not even a thousand miles on it I bet.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:22 AM
12 Second Club

IT LIVES!!! 3 grounding straps on the back of the passenger head weren't attached (thanks to my friend) and neither was the CPS... typical. Had to pull the starter to attach it and it fired right up... fuel pump came on no problem, no clicking or funny business with the gauges in the car, and the engine runs like a champ. Now to complete hooking everything up to the trans, reinstalling the cats, and having the exhaust re-plumbed to the turbo... after that, bring'er home, put the plumbing for the oil supply and return back on the car, reinstall the turbo, hook the intercooler up to the TB, and bang... turbocharged. Thanks again guys for your help!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<