Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions on modified car- HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Emissions on modified car- HELP!

Hey guys, Mods in sig -

I sold my car yesterday but promised my buddies mom that I would make the car pass emissions and safety inspection before cashing her check. It is really important that i make this thing legally pass but I have longtubes and an ORY and aftermarket cam, and ls6 intake with the egr and air taken off.

If I get a good y-pipe off ebay with catts, will that make me pass, or do I need to do other stuff too? How the hell do I hook back up the EGR, etc. when the damned LS6 intake manifold is on there...

Will the cam be an issue? What do I have to do to make it pass?
Old 10-05-2007, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

what state are you in and what county? If your in PA you may be able to pass if you have the emissions codes tuned out of your ECM. IF your in Philly or pittsburg you will not pass cuz they require you go on the sniffer. I'm a PA inspection tech so i can only speak for PA
Old 10-05-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Sniffer tests are VERY difficult to pass.

I'm glad NY went to the code testing system.....

you should not sell your car anyway...

..cash the check as you transferrd the title...
Old 10-05-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

im buying a c6 - gotta sell the z - its like losing a family member though...

I'm in Fairfax VA - we dont have a sniffer, just the code test and visual inspection... but i dont know what that entails
Old 10-05-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Technically speeking.. to remove or modify any part of the car is illegal in any state. Just be cause the Local or state smog inspection doesn't check for something that is now missing, doesn't make it legal (unless it has CARB number). But lets not dwell on it..

If VA looks for the EGR equipement and you have modified by swapping in a LS6 (F-body 2001-2002 intake, vette,etc), you will either need to put the LS1 EGR intake back on with all of the EGR and AIR equipement or by a aftermarket LS6 intake that has the EGR port (Lingenfelter) to pass the visual test.
Lingenfelter also marketes a adapter to allow EGR equipment to work with a LS6 intake. (http://www.lingenfelter.com/document...ctionsv1.0.pdf )

As far as the Codes, you can get some tuning software to flash out the code or paid someone to do it (again any of this is technical illegal and if caught, you and the person flashing out the code can be fined !)

As far as the CAT issue, the law requires that they remain in their original location and movement is again, making them illegal. So a ORY with Cats, may still not make it legal unless there is a CARB number attached to them.

Unless your Friend is aware of these law and modification and knows what he must do to get around them, you will be sticking him with a can of worms and problems. Generally the seller is responsable for selling a car that can pass the test and if it fail, the seller is resonsable for the funds and repaires to do so.

good luck..