Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

???? on P/V clearences

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???? on P/V clearences

I am installing TEA stage 2.5 heads milled .030 on my car with a F13 cam on a 99 camaro 5.7ls1 .

My question is I have read that you need .050 clerence after the pistons notched ,I have the notcherd the pistons .095 so far the intake seems fine the clay is pretty thick (i didnt mesure the clay because i couldnt figure out how ) but the exhaust valve looks to be pretty thin definetly not .050 and for me to get .050 i would need to go .120 on the exhaust . could I just do another .020 and be safe ?
Old 10-07-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Be specific in your setup
Which type of heads?
What size valves?
What kind valves?
What thickness gasket?
What LSA and ICL of cam?

FM 13 is not that big to require huge reliefs.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroSS19
I am installing TEA stage 2.5 heads milled .030 on my car with a F13 cam on a 99 camaro 5.7ls1 .

My question is I have read that you need .050 clerence after the pistons notched ,I have the notcherd the pistons .095 so far the intake seems fine the clay is pretty thick (i didnt mesure the clay because i couldnt figure out how ) but the exhaust valve looks to be pretty thin definetly not .050 and for me to get .050 i would need to go .120 on the exhaust . could I just do another .020 and be safe ?
Was the cam degreed when it was installed? If so where what's the L.S.A and where was the cam installed at?

As far as removing .120 off a piston it depends on the piston. But that's a lot to remove, you need to measure the thickness of the piston before you cut it. Check your cam first and let me know where it's installed at, you may be able to move it one way or the other to gain some P to V.

Harold
Port Pros LLC
512-257-0222
Old 10-08-2007, 06:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

The cam was installed dot to dot and I got hte car running yesterday I ended up cuting .110 on the stock piston to get the clerence I would like .

I am not 100% the cam is an f-13 since I got it used form a shady mechanic my guess its a bigger cam then I was told so I just cut more .

I thought .120 was the max on stock pistons form what I have heard will I hurt anything
Old 10-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CamaroSS19
The cam was installed dot to dot and I got hte car running yesterday I ended up cuting .110 on the stock piston to get the clearence I would like .

I am not 100% the cam is an f-13 since I got it used form a shady mechanic my guess its a bigger cam then I was told so I just cut more .

I thought .120 was the max on stock pistons form what I have heard will I hurt anything
Thats a scary. You guys know you're supposed to mock an engine up to find out how deep to cut the valve reliefs right?
You don't look at a cam card and go from that, and you certainly don't go by a number "some shady guy" told you. (In fact you don't typically put mystery cams in anything".
In reference to the one reply asking for specs and all, you don't need any of that info when you're cutting valve reliefs.

When you cut all that info is already accounted for, you got the cam matched to your intended use of the engine, and it should match the compression, etc.
Cutting reliefs is a fitment procedure so to speak, if the cam is in the way it needs to be in, you need to cut to make it work and this isn't something to guess about.