Sponsored by:

older etp heads- my notes

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 12:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default older etp heads- my notes

this is just info in case someone searches for it one day

i bought some older etp heads that were made before 1/06 (dunno when exactly but the original install was done then.
one coolant hole on each head was 1/4" off from matching up with the head gasket. Called etp and cary said to drill it where it needs to be....drilled down about 7/8" and felt it go thru the deck and into the water chamber and all was well. The aluminum was much easier to drill than the head gasket...i tried ETP has corrected this on their newer heads
Stock valve covers (used stock rockers also) needed to have the baffles removed. Then the "stands" where the baffles were attached to needed to be ground down as well. On the drivers side valve cover, i had to grind down the bosses on the inside of the valve cover opposite the coil pack bracket mounts.

My rockers hit in these places before grinding...your experience may be different. The valve covers are aluminum and are VERY easy to grind on...took about 15-20 minutes per cover figuring out where to grind and actually doing it.

I will see how these very thick decked heads hold up with the 07-08 escalade l92 gm LS gaskets (5 layer)
Old 10-09-2007, 11:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you find out about the holes before or after you installed them on your block? Mine are off too and I have had serious overheating problems that has cost me a lot of money in labor and parts trying to fix. I bought my heads in February of 2007.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

IT is ok to drill those holes. Although I was comparing the pattern of holes on the GM c5r heads to a set of etp 225 heads recently and discovered they use the same pattern,spacing,size and location.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:56 AM
FormerVendor

Why on Gods Earth would ANYONE spend a couple of grand on a set of heads, THEN go an hack them up with a drill. Send those ****** back and have the company fix them the right way(on their dime) . Cause you know damn well, if something goes wrong no-one will back you.
In late 2005 to mid 2006 I had a set of ET heads on order. I think it was for a total of about 8 months. In the end, I went with a different set. I am soo thankfull I didnt get those heads..

Originally Posted by LS1curious
IT is ok to drill those holes. Although I was comparing the pattern of holes on the GM c5r heads to a set of etp 225 heads recently and discovered they use the same pattern,spacing,size and location.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you run the 6.0 head gasket its not an issue. It only posses a problem with the 5.3/5.7 gaskets.

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
Why on Gods Earth would ANYONE spend a couple of grand on a set of heads, THEN go an hack them up with a drill. Send those ****** back and have the company fix them the right way(on their dime) . Cause you know damn well, if something goes wrong no-one will back you.
In late 2005 to mid 2006 I had a set of ET heads on order. I think it was for a total of about 8 months. In the end, I went with a different set. I am soo thankfull I didnt get those heads..
Old 10-10-2007, 02:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i found out before i installed them....one hole per head was off on the 6.0 and the new 6.2 gaskets. I bought my heads used so i couldnt send them back...besides it took one minute per head to drill the hole and all was well so i doubt i would have sent them back anyway. The guy i got them from had no overheating issues with them as they were.