Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please!!! Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please!!! Won't Start

Bought a 98 Camaro in pieces from a friend. Put a new tranny and a few other things in. Had it running like a champ for about a week. (Started it maybe a total of 20-25 times) Took it to the gas station..filled it up and then it would not start. At this point it would not even turn over. pushed it out of the station and had someone give me a jump suspecting a weak battery. Nothing at all. Pushed it into a parking spot and checked all the fuses under the hood: good. Then, I swapped the start and ignition relays and it would crank but not start. Swapped the fan #1 relay with the now suspected bad ignition relay but still nothing. I have fuel pressure coming from the rail shrader valve when I push it in and its turning over like a champ now...just won't fire.

I'm going to take a meter to it tomorrow and see what I can find but if anyone has some personal experience that would help that would be excellent. I've read several other threads and got a good idea where to start.

One other detail that might mean something. I installed a fan cooler for the auto tranny when I put the new trans in. Being lazy, (I know I know) I did not want to wait for the thermostat to get here so I spliced the power for the fan into the pink ignition wire under the relay/fuse box. Worked great but ran the whole time the car was on. When the car wouldn't start, I noticed that the fan was not working either with the key in the run position so I removed the fan wire from the ign wire and connected it straight to the battery. The fan no longer works. (its only 5 or 6 days old) Just something else to think about.

PLEASE HELP IF POSSIBLE!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it to start today. I think it might have been vats related...The little security light would not come on at all and I noticed a ton of corrosion on the contacts inside the ignition switch. Cleaned key and scraped some crap off the contacts and it worked. Either that or there is a gremlin in there. Also didn't know you have to wait 3 minutes between start attempts for the vats to reset itself...oh well