Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I did it..I ordered Yella Terras

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Well, I did it..I ordered Yella Terras

After seeing the desctruction of what a stock rocker arm can do with an after market cam, I feel $500 dollars is great insurance for a motor that has under 9000 miles on it. Also, I really don't want to have to replace the motor because I was to cheap to buy them. Although most of you have just cleaned the metal up and had no problems, my luck would be total destruction.

I will let you know how they do.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Well, I did it..I ordered Yella Terras

Brian,

I'm installing my set this afternoon, so I'll let you know how it goes... on the install check Jon's excellent web site, http://www.ls1howto.com for installation instructions. Due to the stock rocker arm rail that our motors come with, you can't install them one cylinder at a time, like the included instructions mention. Be sure to use Jon's site, as he has the process laid out very neatly and concisely.

Good luck!
Old 06-08-2003, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read through his instructions and they are well done. I wonder if he knows how many people he has saved from making big mistakes.

Definetly let me know how the install goes.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Brian,

a word to the wise on the install... since you have to take the time to figure out the preload, be sure to measure it out a few times. I've got a 'vette, and it's a PITA to get the crank pulley rotated due to all the hardware being in the way, so I had to work the engine over a few times to find a cylinder that was in the proper orientation for the preload measurement.

Other than that, it's pretty straightforward. I did have a question on the preload, and what is 'enough' https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...14&fpart=1, as I could only get 1/4 (plus a little more, maybe 15 degrees or so - 105 degrees total) of a turn past 0-lash before I'd get 22lb/ft on the torque wrench, and I didn't know if that was enough preload or not... JmX says it is, so I'm going to finish the install one night this week... I'm slow and methodical, and since I had a question on the preload, I decided to stop until I could get an authoritative answer one way or another on the shims.

You'll like them... they are awesome looking as far as build quality goes... they are a tighter fit than the stockers, as they come a lot closer to the inside edge of the head, but from what I can tell, there should be enough clearance... just rotate the engine a time or two after you get them all installed to be sure they clear everything, and then let the lifters bleed back down before firing it up.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

mine went on without a hitch and they seem to work great...they seem like a great value to me...