Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guide to budget rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guide to budget rebuild

Haha, only my 2nd thread on here and already I'm asking for help on a rebuild! lol

Anyway, I'm doing this all for a friend whom I cant physically help. His motor just developed a lower end knock and I'm leaving for school in 2 days so I cant help him one bit, so hes in a bad positon, so Im doing all I can to make this easy for him.

So far I have found a shortblock that I'm advising him to buy. He cant rebuild his shortblock due to lack of knowledge, help, and funds, this is his best way.

http://www.sdparts.com/product/SDLS6...kAssembly.aspx

I need to find out if there are any complete gasket kits, to make shopping easier. Also, a complete engine fastener set.

He wants to add a performace cam. I am new to LSx so I have not much knowledge on them. Daily driver cam, just a little bit of lope.

He's keeping stock heads, but want to freshen up the valve seals along with valve springs and lock. any suggestions on brands?

I basically have to walk him through this whole process over the phone. I'm also having him join this forum, cause there is alot of stuff about these engines I myself can't answer. I'm just a gen I guy.

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 10-11-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep looking on SDPC, I could swear they make a complete gasket set for an LS1, if not I know they have cam change and intake change kits
For the DD cam, go with a TR224 112 LSA gives a nice lope, good power thru the RPM range, and can in a pinch work with the stock tune (tho it's not advisable to go too long untuned) get the cam kit, it comes with valve springs, pushrods, and seals use the stock valves, they'll be fine, or buy new replacements for them