Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARP Studs

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARP Studs

Is there an advantage to the 12 point head studs over the hex head?
Old 10-11-2007, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Don't go with studs for a f-body, get the arp bolts. I used studs and it made it damn near impossible to get the heads off with out removing all of the studs while the engine is in the car. Get the bolts and you will be happier if you ever take the heads off.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

I hear the complete opposite from everyone aside from you.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Had studs in my car now since the first time I did my H/C swap...never had a problem getting the heads on or off. And trust me, they've only been off about 3 or 4 times since then.

In my opinion, the studs are one of the best investments you can make if considering a H/C swap. Much easier to work with and saves time by not having to clean the bolt holes each time you pull the heads. Cost a bit more, but most definitely worth it.

Re: 12pt vs. 6pt. - it's a matter of opinion I think. Some claim that 12pts allow you to get a better bite on the nut (they do allow you more positions when getting the socket on), but I've never had a problem with the 6pts (hex).

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong.

Good luck!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that the studs arent easy at first. After swapping heads a few times, I learned that an air ratchet with allen head sockets make stud removal a snap. I can take them out nearly as quick as bolts and they torque more accurately than bolts. The 12 point nuts have more surface contact to the socket while torqueing, they're easier to drop the socket on to, and they're stronger than 6 point nuts. Another advantage of studs is that you wont be stressing the aluminum threads in the block like torqueing bolts does. Ask yourself this, does it make sense that you get better torque with threads that are very coarse, like the bolts to the block, or with very fine threads, like the studs to the nuts?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

12 pt studs it is. Now I just need to wait for the answers on my head gaskets and I am set to order.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:51 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by J's99Zrated
Don't go with studs for a f-body, get the arp bolts. I used studs and it made it damn near impossible to get the heads off with out removing all of the studs while the engine is in the car. Get the bolts and you will be happier if you ever take the heads off.
It's quite the opposite. You have to install the studs on the rear passenger head prior to putting on the heads or else you don't have enough room to remove or replace the studs.

Having head studs is a great investment as torque to yeild bolts and arp bolts both leave the bolt holes a mess when you remove them. As stated earlier, having studs also reduces the stresses on the block, which is a good thing considering it's alluminum.