Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Flow Silliness...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Head Flow Silliness...

In a lot of discussions and focus on improving head flow and paying attention to "the overall package", it's always about the intake side.

"These heads flow over 300 at just .500" lift!"

Alrighty - that's great, but what about the exhaust side?

I just think it's interesting to see some heads with amazing intake flow numbers barely(if at all) outflow the stock numbers on the exhaust side. Where's the balance? Don't we want the exhaust side to get some help too?

Along those lines, I was recently talking to a vendor about some heads they were selling and the vendor didn't have the exhaust numbers. Ooops...no sale.

Then again, I'm just a weirdo. After all, I'm a big fan of traditional split cams and modest lifts.

I'll go put on the flame suit....

Dan
Old 10-18-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the intake path is longer than the exhaust path so the focus is primarily on that side of things. The exhaust port is usually only an inch or so, there isn't a lot of room for improvement.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blorton
In a lot of discussions and focus on improving head flow and paying attention to "the overall package", it's always about the intake side.
I just think it's interesting to see some heads with amazing intake flow numbers barely(if at all) outflow the stock numbers on the exhaust side. Where's the balance? Don't we want the exhaust side to get some help too?

Dan
That makes sense. More in = more out. Lots more out sometimes.

Of course when was the last time someone/anyone bragged up their exhaust flow numbers? It's the Henny Youngman exhaust port: "they don't get no respect."