Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trusting Stock Bottom End??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trusting Stock Bottom End??

My 2001 Formula has over 60k miles on the motor that has have an uncountable number of nitrous runs. They car never ran lean or have knocking with the nitrous. I had to change the pushrods due to two occations of mis-shifting from 3rd back into 2nd. I am thinking of bolt-in a 4 to 7psi boost turbocharger to replace the bottle. I have always heard that a turbo with proper tuning is less stressful on a engine than nitrous or a blower. My car still pulls strong and gets still great gas mileage for a V8. I am just wondering if the stock bottem end will be ok or should I expect to tear the motor down for a rebuild? And I want to get away from using nitrous oxide. What do you guys think?
Old 06-10-2003, 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Trusting Stock Bottom End??

I would say that the crank for sure will be okay...but you might want to get better pistons and rods.....especially w/over 60k and numerous runs on the juice....after that you should be good to go...of course replacing bearings and everything....but just have the bottom end rebuild...then you could lower the compression a bit more and run some more boost.... :p
Old 06-10-2003, 12:17 AM
11 Second Club

Truthfully, I just want to get away from nitrous. I like the power it adds, except when the bottle runs empty. I figure with a 4 to 7 psi of boost will sufficiently replace the bottle. I'm sure the motor will last longer on the turbo than the bottle. Eventually, I will rebuild it.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I've heard of people running the stock crank w/over 600 horsepower and even beyond that with no problems....I would say go for it!!!
Old 06-10-2003, 06:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'd be more worried about the bearing surfaces. The big parts have proven strong..