Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which springs and retainers

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:12 AM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great response joe. thanks for clearing things up for ous.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe@Crane Cams
For a street application, I always recommend the safest, durable, most reliable option which in my opinion would be a dual spring package. I do understand that working within a budget you have to consider all factors, and if a single or beehive safely fits the requirements, then by all means go that route. It is why we offer the 99831 beehive and the 144845 single spring. The main thing is that you do your homework, go with what makes you comfortable and live with your decision.
Thank you this was what I was looking for. People keep saying 918s are good enough and I realize that but if something is more reliable thats what I want.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:25 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I ran 918's and had problems with some valve float when they went soft. Granted it happens to all springs but with all the freaky stuff that went on this year with them I decided to go with the patriot golds and i couldn't be happier. I'm running a TR224 on 112 and most thought this was overkill on the springs but I beat the living hell out of my cars and even though there really is no need I do buzz it to 7K rpm all the time. I mean all the time I hit the limiter two or three times a week in regular driving AND many many times a day when I go to the track which I did a lot this year and made 60 passes or so.

I dont find the valve train noise any louder with the patriot golds than I did with the 918's ( blue stripe ) My engine has lots of miles and I'm on stock lifters. I understand all the design and hype about the bee hive technology but considering the excellent price and the fact that when looking at a 918 and a P gold side by side you have to believe the hype not to admit the Patriot Gold looks like its made out of material that is far cleaner and is a better deal.

Combine that with the fact that I have never EVER seen one post about Patriot Golds failing? but oh soo many 918 problems ( numerous batches too I might add remember the pre blue stripe breakage fiasco? ) Dunno bout you guys but it seems a simple choice to me especially when you consider the great price of the Patriot Gold package with ti retainers and all.

Quick Reply: Which springs and retainers