Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASP Pulley- alternator belt issues, please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASP Pulley- alternator belt issues, please help

Ok so i believe its the alternatory belt, the longer one, well anyways i did my cam swap, asp underdrive pulley, well twice now the belt has come off, most recent being last night, i had no choice but to drive it the 15 miles home, well it was getting real hott, so id pull over let it cool then drive again, i got home and put the belt on, next morning theres a little puddle of antifreeze underneath and my service engine soon light is on, my questions are why does the belt keep coming off and why is my service engine soon light on? the belt only seems to pop off after i drive somewhere ill park it then come back out, start it and it pops off, any help would be greatly appreciated,
Old 11-06-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you SURE the pulley is fully home against the boss on the crankshaft? You better check. Use a straight edge. This wasn't happening before the cam swap was it? The water leak. You better keep an eye on that.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1GameOVR
Ok so i believe its the alternatory belt, the longer one, well anyways i did my cam swap, asp underdrive pulley, well twice now the belt has come off, most recent being last night, i had no choice but to drive it the 15 miles home, well it was getting real hott, so id pull over let it cool then drive again, i got home and put the belt on, next morning theres a little puddle of antifreeze underneath and my service engine soon light is on, my questions are why does the belt keep coming off and why is my service engine soon light on? the belt only seems to pop off after i drive somewhere ill park it then come back out, start it and it pops off, any help would be greatly appreciated,
I hope you changed the stock belt because the asp pulley doesnt take the stock belt. It takes a smaller belt.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:47 PM

i got two new belts from tsp, as far as the antifreeze leak, this is the first time, im pretty sure it did it because it got ott and the overflow bottle spewed a bit, what can i check for to see why the longer belt is coming off, everything is on track, maybe a bad tensioner pulley?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

It could be the tensioner. That is something that I would check.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1GameOVR
i got two new belts from tsp, as far as the antifreeze leak, this is the first time, im pretty sure it did it because it got ott and the overflow bottle spewed a bit, what can i check for to see why the longer belt is coming off, everything is on track, maybe a bad tensioner pulley?
You dont need a Longer belt you need a shorter one.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by allthrotle
It could be the tensioner. That is something that I would check.
I'm having that problem with mine. Just one rib coming off though, but I am spinning it up about 6000 RPM when I'm out driving sometimes. Pick up a Katech Tensioner and it should solve your problems.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
I'm having that problem with mine. Just one rib coming off though, but I am spinning it up about 6000 RPM when I'm out driving sometimes. Pick up a Katech Tensioner and it should solve your problems.
I spin my stock tensioner up to 6500 with no problems. It could be a combonation of things, like bad tensioner and the wrong size belt.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:18 PM

yah, i have been spinning my motor to nearly 6500 aswell, where can i get the katech tensioner, and how much $, also how much of a pain to install?>
Old 11-12-2007, 09:12 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I had belt spitting problems too. Katech tensioner and same belt since. 6900 RPM limiter and it gets banged often
Old 11-12-2007, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Go to Byunspeed.com, they're a sponsor and it is only $135 there
Old 11-13-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Could be the tensioner; but I'd triple check the alignment on the pulley and make sure it is bottomed out on the crank. Mine sees 6800 on a full throttle run and I've yet to have a problem with the stock tensioner.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you didn't have this problem before the cam swap you should be able to read the handwriting on the wall. If you can't read it you should have hired someone to do the cam swap for you. Go back over your work. Check alignment of all the pulleys with a long straight edge. It only takes one pulley out of alignment to force the belt off. Is your crank pulley fully home? Did you tighten the crank pulley bolt to spec. I use a long breaker bar with a four foot piece of pipe over it just to get the leverage needed to get that one bolt tight. Never had a belt jump once.

Quick Reply: ASP Pulley- alternator belt issues, please help