Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Oil Leak

I got a small problem with my new Engine at the current moment.
Today I got it in the Car, started it up and bled out the Coolant System. So pretty much it's at about 185* and been running for about 15 min. I then raised it up to 2000RPM's to break in the Cam Bearings. About 15 minutes into that I notice something dripping in the front near the Water Pump. I shut it down, and got under it to check it out.
Turns out it's Oil, looks like it's coming from the Front Main Seal..the Balancer is soaked and so it everything else under there. I didn't get a chance to look at it that hard, I left it alone for the rest of the night, tomorrow I'm goin back to see what exactly it is. Nothing is in the Antifreeze..nothing in the Oil, they are good. There is just a bunch of Oil all over the front of my Engine.

Anyone ever have that happen?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you put the front cam cover plate on yourself? The way I understand it is you install the oil pan first. Then put the front plate on but leave the bolts loose. Then press your pully on the crank and the front main seal will 'find it's home' on the pulley. Then tighten the cover bolts to spec. I also put some gasket maker on the bottom of the front plate. I followed the ls1howto.com writeup.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm goin to start with the Fron Main Seal..then go from there..
Old 11-06-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I was talking about. Sorry if I didn't explain it very well. You can read is better here maybe:
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=2