Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 3 engine package options. Whaddya think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My 3 engine package options. Whaddya think?

First off, I gotta say I'm still pretty new at the LS based engine. So if my packages are missing something or are way off base, let me know. Thanks.

Well, I know its a early on in my build, but I'm trying to narrow down my options for an engine package for my car. Its a 66 Nova Hardtop. I plan on putting a 4L60E in it, with a Dana 60 and 3.55 gears (maybe 3.73), and whatever stall converter is recommended (3500-4000?). The car will see the drag strip maybe once in its life, and spend the rest of its time going to shows, cruises, driving with the family, and obviously hittin' the back roads for some abuse But I want it fast, and I want it mean...... Hey, it's a musclecar, right?

The typical weight for a 66 Hardtop is around the 2700-2900 pound range. It will be minitubbed with a 285 to 315 rear tire on a 17 inch wheel, with about a 45% aspect ratio. I would like to see at least 425RWHP. No air conditioning, no power steering, just an alternator and water pump. Full headers, 3" exhaust (hopefully, if 3" can't fit, then 2.5"), not sure on the mufflers yet.

Anyways, I've got my eyes on these so far (in no particular order):

A. SLP P/N 12293 - SLP 64cc L92 Heads, L76 intake, Comp Cams 918 springs, 1.7 rockers, and I would use the TSP Magic Stick 3.0 on a stock LS2 block.

B. PRC P/N 199PKG1 - Stage 2.5 5.3 heads, 2.04 intake, 1.575 exhaust, PRC double springs, titanium retainers, Magic Stick 3.0 Cam, I would also use an LS6 intake and a ported TB. All on a stock LS1 block.

C. PRC P/N 199PRCLS6 - Stage 2.5 LS6 Heads, 2.04 Intake, 1.575 exhaust, PRC double springs, titanium retainers, Magic Stck 3.0 Cam, and I would use an LS6 intake and ported TB on a stock LS2 block.

The standard for all of them would be a new oil pump, pushrods, timing chain, and pretty much anything else I forgot to mention.

So I have a few questions,

1. First off, am I on the right track to get at least 425HP to the wheels?

2. Is there any benefit of the extra money spent on option C vs B? Option C is not a " ready to order package" offered from Texas Speed, they would have to put it together separately. Option B is a "ready to order package".

3. Is there a problem with the 918 springs? (I've read previous posts about them, and was led to believe that the PRC dual springs are better).

4. Can option B be used on an LS2 block? If so, is there any benefit on using option B on an LS2 block?

5. If it were you, which option would you pick?

6. Is there any other package/brand that is better than what I've posted here?

Remember, I do not get offended easily, so if I'm way off with these ideas, SAY SO!!!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 66 BADBOY; 11-07-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are well on your way to having your HP goals. The only thing you might find (i'm sure other people will agree) that SLP in general is way over priced for what you get. However in a recent GMHTP article I believe that they tested the slp L92's against the slp/AFR ZL-1 heads and the L-92's outflowed the zl-1's and they were like half the price. Also the 918's have been redesigned and re-released so I don't think there is a problem there. don't forget to check out some of the other sponsors, TSP is a great sponsor but there is like 30 other sponsors just to the right --->. maybe some one with more experience can chime in.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the response. TSP is one of the companies I've seen a lot in the threads here, so that's where I started first. I know I have some looking around to do yet, so thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

I think the LS2 block, L92/L76 set up is a great place to start, but it should be noted that the MS3 was designed for an LS1/2/6 type head. I have observed that the L92/LS7 type heads prefer a much larger split in intake and exhaust duration (with the exhaust being held open longer). I believe LG was working on a whole line up of cams for the L92 heads, try a search in the Gen IV section and the dyno section. Katech would be another good place to go if you wanted a custom cam as they were one of the first shops to deal with Gen IV cylinder heads on the C.6R race motors. The LS2 block also offers you the choice of building a 402ci motor at a later date, as opposed to a 383ci that you would get with the same 4" crank in an LS1.

AJ
Old 11-07-2007, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

using stock cubes either on an ls2 or ls1 doesn't necisitate the l92 head. Actually I think it's bore (valves) are too big for the ls1 and will hit the top of the cylinder sleeve.

Though some know better than I, the intake runner on the l92 would be considerably bigger (250cc?) which decreases port velocity and may make it a dog down low.

prc 5.3's have a smaller runner (220 cc of the top of my head) and I don't think you can go wrong w/ the ported ls6 (~227cc). The 5.3 have a great bump in compression (59 cc chamber) which is awsome for the torque curve and area under the curve power. With that said any head can be milled to desireable compression, but you'll be loosing p to v clearance meaning flycutting the piston.

Maybe someone can chime in about the l92's. I wouldn't put the blue stripe 918's on w/ the ms3.

So B for more streatability and lowere end torque no milling and more p to v clearance.

You'll reach your hp goal with any listed combo, but you have to ask yourself where you want to make the power? Available all over the rpm range or just in the upper rpm's.

Maybe a torquer 2 w/ the 5.3 would be a better match and the ms3 with the ls6's.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Keep 'em coming guys!! This is the stuff I want to hear.

As far as where I want the power, I never really thought of that. I've seen some great reviews for the MS3 cams as far as driveability, and power.... and I think they sound just plain awesome. But if it has its power a little too high in the band, then maybe I'll start looking at a tad smaller cam, or a custom ground one.

Thanks again!!
Old 11-07-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want to talk about cams i know that you should contact patrick g, or predator z (members in the board) as i understand it they are the cam guru's. i believe that can spec you a cam that can get you 400+ fwhp with no other mods on a stock ls1!
Old 11-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kozak
If you want to talk about cams i know that you should contact patrick g, or predator z (members in the board) as i understand it they are the cam guru's. i believe that can spec you a cam that can get you 400+ fwhp with no other mods on a stock ls1!
Yeah, Predator has responded to some other questions that I had. He's definitely a smart, smart guy when it comes to this stuff. I asked him to look at this thread, so I'm interested to see what he says.

Thanks again.