Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retainers Steel Vs Titanium

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retainers Steel Vs Titanium

In my BBC i've had problems with the springs (900+lb open pressure) destroying ti retainers around the edges where the outer spring makes contact with the retainer so i switched to Steel and haven't had any problems.

Are any of the LS guys having problems with 500+lb open pressure springs and Ti retianers?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:59 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

$20 says its not the material. Obviously, Ti wears but usually doesn't get "destroyed". Do you do anything to prep/inspect the springs or retainers before I installation? What springs/retainers are you using?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Launching!

My heads where done by reher morrison and have Del West Ti valves, retainers, locks. and the retainers where toast after about 100 passes

i switched out to $100 steel retianers and they've outlived 5 sets of springs going on 3 years.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Steel retainers have come a long way in the past 5 years. There are steel retainers available that weigh almost the same as a Ti because they are very thin. But advances in heat treatment and alloys have made them as durable as any other steel retainer. Xceldyne has some. I'm pretty sure they're custom made so you'll have to call.

What springs are you using? Reher Morrsion has started using a lot of our stuff. If your not already, ask them if they have anything from us that might work with your combination. Usually our stuff holds up better than the equivalent PSI part, and way better than a manley or comp spring.