Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a new Bottom End

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Getting a new Bottom End

well... looks like i'm the victim of Rod Knock...

Got Ryne over at CMS gonna rebuild my motor with a new bottom end... he just got finished upgrading the valvetrain and installing a new cam...

Frankly i'm not very familiar with the bottom end on our cars... could someone enlighten me with a little info about what parts are involved and if there is any horsepower gains to be seen from upgrading to forged parts...?

just need a little edjumication pwease!
Old 11-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No HP gains from forging, just more strength.

Maybe you may want to have it stroked?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Teching In

if u build compression when re doing the bottom end it will make some more power but just forging everything wont do anything.......but u should be able to run more nitrous with the right fuel system and tune
Old 11-09-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MeanGreenZ28
if u build compression when re doing the bottom end it will make some more power but just forging everything wont do anything.......but u should be able to run more nitrous with the right fuel system and tune

you mention building compression... is there any negative side to that? will it cost more...?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Teching In

if your compression is to high you will need to run higher octane gas.......i heard anything over 11.25:1 you need over 93 octane but im not sure how true that is
Old 11-09-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MeanGreenZ28
if your compression is to high you will need to run higher octane gas.......i heard anything over 11.25:1 you need over 93 octane but im not sure how true that is
yea... probably wouldn't want that... this car is a DD and 91 is about as high as I can find around here in Phoenix...
Old 11-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Teching In

then u wouldnt want to build to much compression.......and thats crazy u can only get 91 octane there? do you know how much a nitrous fill is there i almost moved there last winter i was asking on AZstreetscene.com how much it was and if u could get race gas and stuff but no one got back to me?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

well you can buy race gas... but seeing as I want a convieniant fill up...

not sure about nitrous... not a big fan of it...
Old 11-09-2007, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

The only way your gonna change compression is if you change pistons or mill the heads before putting it all back together. He should be re-using your stock crank if it's ok & if your stock rods themselves are not hurt & your tryin to save money he can use those too. Then just add some ARP rod bolts & that would be your cheapest route.

The real question is how much you wanting to spend & would it be more cost effective to just buy a already assembled & forged 347 short block from a sponsor??

Cause you could always use:

your stock block
Callies Comp star rods
Mahle pistons
good rings/bearings
ARP studs/rod bolts through out
and your stock crank

But there will be alot of machine work to pay for & assembly/balancing if you can't do it yourself.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

The stock crank on the ls1 is very strong. Upgrade the rods and pistons and spray it to hell.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well you should atleast have everything forged while it's apart. YOu say that you are not a fan of nitrous but you never know. All it takes is for a Cobra to stretch you out then you are going to want more power. Be it nitrous, supercharger or turbo, your bottom end will be all set.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

what size cam did you put in,and how high did you spin it? How long was it in? Sorry to hear this.you just started modding too
Old 11-11-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

sorry been outa town for a few days... back to your questions...

Yea i'm not a big fan of nitrous mainly because I just don't trust myself with it... plus i look at it as a "cheater" way of winning... (which is just MY view of it - nothing against the nitrous guys)... I'm just a die-hard NA kinda guy that likes mean, loud, obnoxious, grunt coming from my car

Originally Posted by john563
what size cam did you put in,and how high did you spin it? How long was it in? Sorry to hear this.you just started modding too

Ryne put a 224/224 114 comp cam in it... My buddy was driving it and I personally didn't notice the rpm's going something like crazy high, i feel more like he screwed it up from some sort of mis-shift, but Ryne seems to think he over-revved the hell out of it... so i dunno... what's done is done...

the cam was just put in a few days ago, when Ryne threw it on the dyno and tuned it right after... (he probably did a few heat cycle warm ups i'm sure before hand)

as far as the modding goes... trust me, i wasn't planning on any of it. I'm a full time college student and broke as F$ck, but when it's your only car, you gotta do something, and I figure more or less having a new/stronger engine in it was my best route. Not to mention Ryne is REALLY helping me out on this one and knows his stuff.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i bascially building him a nice budget rod/piston 347, going to use a eagle rods, wiseco pistons, and of course the stock crank.

the rod is very very slight, but its getter ever worse, so much so that computer is pretty much pulling timing all the time, thinking is knock. i really feel for Wes on this, didnt really want to have to rebuild his motor, i explored every avenue before coming to this conclusion, but what done is done. the motor was clearly over reved bad 7500+rpm from a mis-shift, too bad, but he will have a stout motor, that will live for a long time after its all said and done.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey wes
It sounds like your new motor will be able to handle a healthy shot of nitrous too. I know your not a fan of nitrous,but hey if you got a motor that can take it why not?
Old 11-11-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
but he will have a stout motor, that will live for a long time after its all said and done.
words of comfort

Thanks again Ryne!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by john563
Hey wes
It sounds like your new motor will be able to handle a healthy shot of nitrous too. I know your not a fan of nitrous,but hey if you got a motor that can take it why not?
yea... you never know... maybe one day down the road... right now though, seeing as i'm gonna need to be depending on it, i'll be holding back my urges for now eventually i'm gonna want to throw on a set of AFR 205's on there... and who knows, depending on how I like this cam i might go for a more agressive one later down the road with the AFR's as well

but all this will be once I'm outa school and can actually afford to do it... got about a year left till i get my bachelors
Old 11-12-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
yeah i bascially building him a nice budget rod/piston 347, going to use a eagle rods, wiseco pistons, and of course the stock crank.

the rod is very very slight, but its getter ever worse, so much so that computer is pretty much pulling timing all the time, thinking is knock. i really feel for Wes on this, didnt really want to have to rebuild his motor, i explored every avenue before coming to this conclusion, but what done is done. the motor was clearly over reved bad 7500+rpm from a mis-shift, too bad, but he will have a stout motor, that will live for a long time after its all said and done.
looks like a nice piston kit... course i don't know much about what i'm looking at but it's shiny!

http://www.wiseco.com/PDFs/Wiseco-ChevyLSPistonKits.pdf