Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with pinging problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with pinging problem

I have a 99 T/A with basic mods (flowmaster, K&N cold air, mild tune - egr/air off, fan speeds, a little touch here and there).

Now that the cool weather has arrived I have a horrible ping under heavy throttle. Sounds pretty bad. I first suspected that I had a bad tank of fuel so I waited out on the tank and re-filled with good premium and it is still pinging. The car has been well maintained. Recent plugs (NGK TR55), injection cleaning, fuel filter.

Fuel pressure at the rail is 52psi with ignition on and 62psi running. Any ideas?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:55 PM

Anyone?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Could be something else, but try race gas in it next time, if it goes away you're really pinging. What happens, is colder weather allows the car to suck denser air and that gives it more oxygen to work with. The combined effect of different IAT & O2 feedback compared to what those were when the car was tuned, makes it adjust fueling and timing...possibly causing the cold weather pinging...

Some people run two tunes in their cars. One for Summer and a different one in Winter.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigBirdTA
Could be something else, but try race gas in it next time, if it goes away you're really pinging. What happens, is colder weather allows the car to suck denser air and that gives it more oxygen to work with. The combined effect of different IAT & O2 feedback compared to what those were when the car was tuned, makes it adjust fueling and timing...possibly causing the cold weather pinging...

Some people run two tunes in their cars. One for Summer and a different one in Winter.
Maybe some octane booster and pull some timing if you can.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you cleaned your MAF wires recently? I think it's a good idea if you use the K&N, the filter oil can gum it up.

If you are pulling oil in to the intake through your PCV that can can cause pinging. An oil catch can could help there.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:44 AM

I unplugged the MAF and it actually reduced the pinging a little bit. It is definitely still there though.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Search for SEAFOAM, When my car was basicly stock with a few bolt ons it would ping at high rpm. No codes thrown, and the tune was stock. After running the seafoam I think it cleaned a lot of the built up carbon out of the motor. That and TR-6's I have no more ping even runnig 8psi of boost now
Old 11-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be curious to see what your fuel pressure is at WoT. And also what the voltage is going to fuel pump.

I bet there's a pressure drop and you aren't getting enough fuel. Your pump might be getting weak. Also, have you changed your fuel filter lately?