Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dex-crap sludge

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dex-crap sludge

I had reverted to running standard green coolant when I first got my car. I had to take it in to a dealership when I was driving across country and they were unkind enough to top off my fluids--including dex-crap in my radiator. Had one point in time, before my current head problem, that the temp went up. Started taking things apart and I have a serious case of light brown fluid with some sludge and some chunks of gelatenous crap. I know how to do a normal flush of the system, but is there any way to ensure I get all the sludge and jello out?
Old 11-30-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best thing to do is drain all coolant, out of the radiator, take off the thermostat and upper radiator hose... stick a water hose up to the upper coolant tunnel where the radiator hose connected on the engine, let it flush for a good 5-10 minutes...

flush the radiator as much as possible...

take out the reservoir, and flush it out as well...

just make sure you get as much out as possible... a wet dry vac can come in handy for some of the sludge...

then get some distilled water and your coolant of choice and fill her back up...

when i changed my radiators i went with the Prestone Extended Performance yellow/green stuff and it does sooooooo much better and doesn't coagulate into sludge like the dex-cool...
Old 12-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Make Sure You Flush The Heater Core Out Good The Jello Like To Collect In There And Solidify. The County I Work For Just Found Out The Hard Way To The Tune Of About $800.00 . Good Luck I Hope Every Thing Turns Out Ok!
Old 12-02-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ycems779
Make Sure You Flush The Heater Core Out Good The Jello Like To Collect In There And Solidify. The County I Work For Just Found Out The Hard Way To The Tune Of About $800.00 . Good Luck I Hope Every Thing Turns Out Ok!
Where's the heater core located at? I don't remember doing this...
Old 12-02-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Look for the hoses on the passenger side of the engine bay headed towards the firewall.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Banned

jus make sure ur heater is on when u do the flush and ur fine,
Old 12-03-2007, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies guys. As I hadn't been around my car for 9 months and now I'm back near it, I'm finding all kinds of things that need to be done to get it back to where I want it...and lots of new leaks.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:21 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone know the hazzard of dexcool? Last thing I want to do is flush dexcool down my driveway and contaminate a bunch of stuff. Do places that accept oil also take engine coolant?
Old 12-03-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Anyone know the hazzard of dexcool? Last thing I want to do is flush dexcool down my driveway and contaminate a bunch of stuff. Do places that accept oil also take engine coolant?
Dex-cool is just as bad as regular as far as disposal. Call your local autparts store and they should be able to take it.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dexcool is propylene glycol, same stuff they put into a lot of medicines and food as an inert filler, you can pretty much drink the stuff (BUT DON'T). Green stuff is ethelene glycol, that'll kill anything in a hurry. Being that dexcool is inert I'd just pour it down the drain instead of dealing with disposal since i'm fairly sure most auto parts stores don't dispose of it (used to be a store manager at a large parts chain). To dispose of ethelene glycol based coolant you usually have to call the county poison control and ask them where you can dispose of it.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew04GTO
Dexcool is propylene glycol, same stuff they put into a lot of medicines and food as an inert filler, you can pretty much drink the stuff (BUT DON'T). Green stuff is ethelene glycol, that'll kill anything in a hurry. Being that dexcool is inert I'd just pour it down the drain instead of dealing with disposal since i'm fairly sure most auto parts stores don't dispose of it (used to be a store manager at a large parts chain). To dispose of ethelene glycol based coolant you usually have to call the county poison control and ask them where you can dispose of it.
Remember, this was likely mixed with Ethylene Glycol at some point. Do the responsible thing and take it in for recycling. It's up to them to do it in accordance with state and local regulations. It's a lot easier than picking up the phone and finding everyone in the county who doesn't know what to do with it. I would not pour it down the drain!

Also, for reference:
Regulatory Information from Dow
Regulations may exist that govern the manufacture, sale, transportation, use and/or disposal of PG. These regulations may vary by city, state, country or geographic region. Information may be found by consulting the relevant Safety Data Sheet or Contact Us.