Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new strange tapping

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new strange tapping

I have a new tapping sound lately. Its not piston slap. It seems to be a tapping noise from underneith the motor area. It only taps every once in a while, and only on cold startup like over night. Once the car warms up it goes away, but its loud and very noticeable not piston slap. I also have a squeeking noise that im assuming is new belts from the underdrive pulley I just installed. Like the tapping once the car warms up the squeeking goes away too. I have plenty fresh oil and good oil pressure. The car runs fantastic! Any ideas guys??????
Old 12-04-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

squeeking is prob the belt........
tapping could be a number of things.....i think either a lifter or a bearing getting ready to fail.....mine ran crazy fast before it took a ****....fired it up in the parking lot for a couple of people and then the tapping/squeeking/slapping sound started.....it was hit or miss when it would happen....i know you have fresh oil but is there any metal in the oil.....if not try to add some lucas
Old 12-04-2007, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Did the tapping go away when the motor was warm?
Old 10-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

im having the same problem. and it sounds like its coming from the area where the belts are. wen i was driving last night it randomly started and the SES light came on.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Teching In

I had the exact same thing as you and it started last February. It was pretty loud at first, but quieted down after about a week. The noise would be there at cold start (louder than piston slap, but not loud like rod knock or a spun bearing), and go away as the engine warmed up. I thught it was a lifter that would stick occasionally...

This happened last week:

I think I broke a rod and **** it out of the side of the block. Maybe a piston pin let go or something...I still have yet to tear it apart. Hope yours isn't that serious!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Teching In

On a side note: You could pull the valve covers and see if you have a bent puchrod, or pull the heads and check the lifters...

Like you said, it sounds like it's coming from the bottom of the motor, so there's no way to check it without tearing the motor apart.