Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st start-up after sitting for a yr??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1st start-up after sitting for a yr??

Hey Guys,

If you have an engine thats been sitting in a car for a yr,never been fired or anything,Still have fresh oil in it etc

What should be done before starting it? Yank the plugs ans spray PB blaster in there and turn over by hand? The engine has been covered,but not covered completeley,just the hood over top of it. And the intake boot on half ***.

Or maybe pull the intake and see what it looks like inside the ports,etc?

I really don't want to yank the heads and buy new gaskets,bolts,etc

Like I said it hasn't been exposed to direct rain or anything.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO, if it's just one year without start up, I wouldn't worry about it. The gas should be fine, the oil should be fine since it's new. Plus it's in a dry place as you mentioned, it's not like your getting rain on your engine...

I would be worried about the battery being alive.

I would just turn the key. It will take a little longer to turn over, but that short time will help bring the oil around again before it kicks over and starts. You may get some smoke comming out for a little while, and maybe some lifter noise until the oil filters through again.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks
Old 12-28-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 68 Firebird last december with its pontiac 400 that hasnt been started since 1984. 23 years the engine sitting. On origional oil, donor carb, and a 12v fuel pump going to gas can the engine fired right up and idled at like 1500 rpm. some wires, plugs, and distributor later my engine has seen 6000rpm plus, and making right around 450hp with the same massive cam, changed oil and coolant but thats it. Idles at 600rpm too. Bought my 70 firebird sat for 9 years chevy 350 added some fuel stabilizer and started it right up. Carb needs rebuilt of course but still runs. Engines are pretty amazing. I think you'll be fine. My LS1 for the 68 has sat for probabaly a year, 5 months or so in my dining room and i'm not one bit worried about it.