Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

building a new engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a new engine

i have lots of questions since its my first i wanted to attempt this since i've rebuilt engines but not one like a lsx first

its my first overbore engine my pistons are 4.030 do i bore it over 30 if my bore stock is 4.000 or do i have it bored a little under because the honeing takes off a little

my diamond pistons are file to fit and my car is just gonna be n/a for awhile aiming around 11-11.5:1 c/r i have l92 heads going on a lq8 block

so how much am i suppose to file these to fit at what specs and how do i measure that

also whats align hone vs reg hone which one whould i get

if the shop can't bore my engine without a torque plate is that still gonna be ok?

also someone told me to pinfit my rods couldn't find any info on it

im just trying to see how much it would cost on average to have someone do it but i think i could do it i just dont wanna spend alot of money and something happed
Old 01-08-2008, 02:29 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 89Formulaws6
i have lots of questions since its my first i wanted to attempt this since i've rebuilt engines but not one like a lsx first
You need to read a lot more.

its my first overbore engine my pistons are 4.030 do i bore it over 30 if my bore stock is 4.000 or do i have it bored a little under because the honeing takes off a little
If you're pistons say they are for a 4.030 bore that's what the block needs to be at. The pistons themselves aren't 4.030 in diameter.

my diamond pistons are file to fit and my car is just gonna be n/a for awhile aiming around 11-11.5:1 c/r i have l92 heads going on a lq8 block
Corrections: Your rings are file to fit and your will be using a LQ4 or LQ9 block which are the same. You're also going to have a domed piston or mill the heads quite a bit to achieve that compression ratio. Or a combination of small valve reliefs and milling.

so how much am i suppose to file these to fit at what specs and how do i measure that
They should say in your instructions.

also whats align hone vs reg hone which one whould i get
An align hone makes sure the crank area is straight and true. A normal hone is honing the cylinders. Both.

if the shop can't bore my engine without a torque plate is that still gonna be ok?
I wouldn't be a plan of not using a torque plate. Find one that can.

also someone told me to pinfit my rods couldn't find any info on it
If you're ordering custom pistons you should get them pin fit. It isn't that expensive and it puts the work on the piston company. That way if anything goes wrong you don't have to deal with it.

im just trying to see how much it would cost on average to have someone do it but i think i could do it i just dont wanna spend alot of money and something happed
A lot.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like you should buy a complete short or long block and be done with it..there are a number of supporting vendors on LS1tech that offer complete short and long block engines..that is going to be your best bet and least expensive way to do it ...

Last edited by slt200mph; 01-08-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slt200mph
It sounds like you should buy a complete short or long block and be done with it..
You should find a reputable engine builder that you trust and have an engine built.