Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Head and Cam Package?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same position i am in. i am trying to decide between...
1. PRC stage 2.5 5.3L heads
2. Prc stage 2.5 LS6 heads

it is a street car. I want hella torque, melt the wheels ****. No dyno queen. torque hitting low and hard, not worried about numbers over 6k rpms really. Cam is unknown as of yet, but leaning towards a reverse split. Like lots of cam lope, as long as it idles wirthout stalling, lol.

what heads are best and why?
Old 01-22-2008, 06:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would hope that our products weren't referred to as "cheaper stuff." Our products have been proven time and time again to make the same power as any of the big-named, aftermarket casting cylinder heads. Out of the box, I would put our heads up against any other out-of-the-box head on the market. Both the 5.3L and LS6 heads have gone 480+ RWHP on heads/cam/bolt-on cars time and time again. Yes, an aftermarket casting head has the advantage of a thicker deck surface, but that is really where the advantages end. On a "street" car, these advantages are seldom used. And for guys wanting an aftermarket casting, we working to meet your needs as well!

Yes, our products are more affordable than some of the other cylinder heads. We strive to offer the best product for the best price possible. The LS1 has been out for over 10 years, so the LS1 tax should not be a factor! We specialize specifically in the LS-based engines. We have a machine shop in-house that uses the best CNC equipment available to produce the best cylinder head possible. We work very hard to constantly develop new products. We are currently the only company with a ported LS7 cylinder head on the market, much less that flows over 390 cfm! Our cylinder heads have been flow-tested at multiple other shops, and it's not uncommon to see higher flow numbers than what we show on our bench. Thunder is one of the many shops that has flow-tested our cylinder heads with excellent results. MTI recently flow-tested our ported LS7 cylinder head on their bench, and it flowed 393 cfm!

Having a more affordable product is not a bad thing, and a more affordable price does not mean that it is of a lesser quality. Our cylinder heads are more than proven, and we have some great products that will be brought to market this year! It will be a very exciting year.

Jon Reynolds
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 01-22-2008, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
I would hope that our products weren't referred to as "cheaper stuff." Our products have been proven time and time again to make the same power as any of the big-named, aftermarket casting cylinder heads. Out of the box, I would put our heads up against any other out-of-the-box head on the market. Both the 5.3L and LS6 heads have gone 480+ RWHP on heads/cam/bolt-on cars time and time again. Yes, an aftermarket casting head has the advantage of a thicker deck surface, but that is really where the advantages end. On a "street" car, these advantages are seldom used. And for guys wanting an aftermarket casting, we working to meet your needs as well!

Yes, our products are more affordable than some of the other cylinder heads. We strive to offer the best product for the best price possible. The LS1 has been out for over 10 years, so the LS1 tax should not be a factor! We specialize specifically in the LS-based engines. We have a machine shop in-house that uses the best CNC equipment available to produce the best cylinder head possible. We work very hard to constantly develop new products. We are currently the only company with a ported LS7 cylinder head on the market, much less that flows over 390 cfm! Our cylinder heads have been flow-tested at multiple other shops, and it's not uncommon to see higher flow numbers than what we show on our bench. Thunder is one of the many shops that has flow-tested our cylinder heads with excellent results. MTI recently flow-tested our ported LS7 cylinder head on their bench, and it flowed 393 cfm!

Having a more affordable product is not a bad thing, and a more affordable price does not mean that it is of a lesser quality. Our cylinder heads are more than proven, and we have some great products that will be brought to market this year! It will be a very exciting year.

Jon Reynolds
Texas Speed & Performance
Jon,

Like I said in a previous post I never referred to your products as "cheaper" or of less quality. I made my decision based what I wanted for my car. Other people chimed in stating that I could save money my going with other products (TSP) instead of the combo that I chose. I replied back by stating that going "cheap" was not what I wanted to accomplish. I was in no way was referring to TSP or the products that you sell. I simply meant that I wanted what was best for my build intentions. Saving money what not my goal. I was prepared to spend as much money as needed for what I wanted.

I originally planned to order from TSP until I found what I was looking for from Thunder Racing. I still think TSP is a outstanding vendor and when I called to inquire about a Head/cam package the sales person that I spoke with was more than helpful and very professional. I will alway keep TSP in mind in future projects and needed parts. I apologize if I was misunderstood in my previous postings. I did not mean for this to happen.

Billy
Old 01-22-2008, 09:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No worries man. That post wasn't really directed at anyone in particular. Just throwing out some thoughts for someone reading through the thread. It is important for us to let customers know we offer a quality product and we don't really fit the "budget" catagory no matter what any one person or vendor might tell you.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I loved my TSP H/C package

Quick Reply: Best Head and Cam Package?