Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check out this C5R engine....

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Check out this C5R egine....

The engine looks awesome, and produces alot of power. Boils down to way too much money. I suppose if you want the name along with the performance, 50K is what it is going ot take.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

power, and reliability is something that comes with more money, better parts, and expierenced builders.

As the old saying i like to use

You can have Speed, Reliability and Affordibility, just not all at the same time.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Someone better pop up and say this engine "only" costed 20k... even then, where the hell did the other 500rwhp go?
Old 07-07-2003, 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Didn't you guys read Louis' response. The motor made 640 with another intake and a small cam....
Its still using a STOCK, unported TB. This seems to be the current bottle neck, as well as the Marine 44# injectors that we are dialing in

It made 641 on the engine dyno with the C5R intake and the baby cam. 550 to come no sweat with a few more bolt ons

Louis

Hello, is 640 ok??? Just goes to show how much HP is locked up in the intake...

As for header length, there are several calculators (www.prestage.com) out there, but 32.5 is just about perfect for a 346 (ala LGM headers. For a 427 that turns 7000 w 1.75 38" for 1.825 35" is optimal.
exactly.....640 on the ENGINE dyno (not rwhp...crank hp)....thats what....550 rwhp....(for $50K)
Old 07-08-2003, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

You guys are retarded....of coarse it can make more. All it needs is a different cam! The throttle body is not the limiting point.

There is a 6000.00 block and over 12000.00 in heads (complete) there. No one knows what rods it has, pistons, etc. So how do you know its a waste? A short block only makes so much of a big deal and then it is all up to the top end (i.e. cam, heads, etc). Hell there are 346 rollers that make 500 (as such as futral). It is the top end that counts.

It was stated that the cam is dinky. Take a g5x2 cam and put it against a thunder 224, there is 50 RWHP right there, just by cam swaps! Most people see what a maxed out ls1 can do (low 500's). This c5r is far from its max potential!!!!!

Plus it could live forever if needs be! I bet it doesn't have a pair of 450.00 eagle rods in it. My bet is that the cam in it is around a .550 lift (or .525) as that is what the race cars are limited too (or something along those lines). The motor was built by Katech and most know how badass the company of their's is!!!!!!

BTW,
Full blown c5r heads should be able to get into the 400 CFM range at .700 (at least that is what was posted a while back!)

D.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:56 AM
Teching In

no ****. looks good, but 12k-dollar 42x motors are making 550+, hell, 38x all bores are making more than 500rw. Now, if you were to say it make 570rw after tuning and headers...i could see that being a little better.
Where are all these 550+ RWHP motors hiding? I've never seen numbers higher than the low 500s posted unless N2O or a blower was involved.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:07 AM
SSU Moderator

Im pretty sure both SW and Stacy (MTI 422's) made 550 thru MN6's. They have solid rollers...but so does this magical C5R motor.

And unless this engine is peaking below like 6k, i would venture to guess that its big enough for the heads...and if thats the case, it sucks. sure a bigger cam will make more...but the heads alone cost more than 2 brand new Kia's!
Old 07-08-2003, 09:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ryan,

Would you stop with this nonsense?

It peaked at 6k FYI.

This car is not even a full bolt on car! Stock TB, and a stock size ATI dampner.

The customer doesnt care about making gobs of power, or spinning to 7k, or anything near that. IT is a C5R motor on a widebody Corvette, with the Lemans style centerlock wheels.

Sure anyone can do anything cheaper, but is it going to last? This motor was made to live at speed for more than 24 hours.

We did not have to post pics Ryan, we did not even have to tell people about this. It is unique and we thought that we would share. Take it or leave it.

Louis
Old 07-08-2003, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it a solid roller?

I didnt know of shaft rockers that didnt require either a) stock valve covers with a 1" or so spacer or b)C5R valve covers
The older C5R covers dont look like that (I didnt like the set I had), but as far as I can tell those dont look like stock covers either...

Whats going on up top?

chris
Old 07-08-2003, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it. If they need an F-car for research,
Old 07-08-2003, 11:29 AM
SSU Moderator

Louis, calm down. I dont have any beef against katech or lg, im just saying that I would think a C5R motor would make more power when their heads can flow upwards of 400cfm. but whatever, if the dude likes his car, thats all that matters.

by the way...what is nonsense? a kia can be had for like 6K and bare heads are 12k.....?
Old 07-08-2003, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i thought i told u why the motor is not making power like u would think, For a big cube engine the single runner kinsler manifold is needed. An engine needs air to breeth and if u did not know the "ramtubes" or "stacks" give a small "ram air effect" as the air pulseates down the tubes, so for chirst sakes stop bashing this engine when it has a cork on the top of it. I AM going to be doing some research with kinsler fuel injection this fall to try and develope a better intake mainfold for our car, however it is difficult due to the clearence issues under our hood.

I will give before and after dyno numbers, also i believe i can start a "ls-1 club" where i can get a group discount, however i must first see if we can develope a manifold that really makes some extra power because they will not be cheep.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Don't get me wrong, it's a sweet motor, but considering the bullshiit price and the power it puts out,

IT's A PILE-O-JUNK.

You can buy 2 streetable strokers with more power than that on pump gas.

What gives???????
Old 07-09-2003, 09:21 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ryan,

Would you stop with this nonsense?

It peaked at 6k FYI.

This car is not even a full bolt on car! Stock TB, and a stock size ATI dampner.

The customer doesnt care about making gobs of power, or spinning to 7k, or anything near that. IT is a C5R motor on a widebody Corvette, with the Lemans style centerlock wheels.

Sure anyone can do anything cheaper, but is it going to last? This motor was made to live at speed for more than 24 hours.

We did not have to post pics Ryan, we did not even have to tell people about this. It is unique and we thought that we would share. Take it or leave it.

Louis
Amen... I think most of your guys should be able to comprehend that who ever did this had their reasons why they did it a certain way. I mean there is a reason they didn't slap two turbos and a sheetmetal manifold on top of the motor and go make a gazillion HP. I know this might be hard for some people to understadn but some folks have enough money that they simply wouldn't care how much it costs. Sure, I can do a re-sleeved LSx block or a c5r block. Ok, which one is better. Well, we all know the C5R block is. To some folks that extra $4k is simply not even a pimple on a knats ***.

Let me give you an example. I was talking with a guy the other day about what combo he wanted to go with in his car. He was trying to decide between a TTi twin turbo kit, a full on H&C package, or a superstroker. When I went through all the costs he basically came out and said, "I could care less how much it costs". He went on to explain that he had to do xxx at his company every day. Its cost him $10,000 each time he does it. So, spend $10K or Even $20K on something he actually enjoys was absolutely a non-issue.

I don't have unlimited funds, but I can understand this. Just like a Ferrari Enzo. The oil Change is over $1000. The oil for the car is $60 a quart. Sure, we'd all freak. But if you can afford that car, $1000 is no big deal.

Try to appreciate things for what they are...
Old 07-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Some info on the valve covers in the photos: Katech is now offering this setup, including the new coil mounts and longer plug wires. The covers will clear all aftermarket valve trains, but lack the baffling that keeps some of the oil out of the stock (non-LS6) PCV system.

$880, a lot of money for eye candy, but I bit anyway.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

C5R heads can be ported to flow 400 cfm but would require 800+ lift cams to see it.I'm in the process of a c5r headed motor now. 50k? Its good to be Katech! I'm sure it will meet the customers requirements, they know those motors well.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it a solid roller?

I didnt know of shaft rockers that didnt require either a) stock valve covers with a 1" or so spacer or b)C5R valve covers
The older C5R covers dont look like that (I didnt like the set I had), but as far as I can tell those dont look like stock covers either...

Whats going on up top?

chris

Look at the first pic again, those covers are much taller than stock.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was stated that the cam is dinky. Take a g5x2 cam and put it against a thunder 224, there is 50 RWHP right there, just by cam swaps! Most people see what a maxed out ls1 can do (low 500's). This c5r is far from its max potential!!!!!

Uh, I highly doubt a G5x2 is going to gain 50 rwhp over a TR224, or am I reading your post incorrectly?

Quick Reply: Check out this C5R engine....