Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebuild suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuild suggestions

Let's start of by saying this will be my first LS build. My '98 Z has 119,xxx miles on it and was NOT taken care. It will drive all day with 20psi oil pressure constant (fluctuates slightly when revving and driving) but the first time I lay in it to about 5k rpms the oil pressure drops out and I start to hear noises SO..... here I am. Planning a rebuild before I leave the shop that I'm working at so I will have a lift and HEAT! Haha. For the most part all I want is a close to stock build. I've bought some 853 heads(got a good deal) and will have them semi worked and I'm planning on the usual gaskets/seals, bearings, oil pump/pickup screen, rod bolts, and a LS2 timing chain, hopefully no machine work but we'll see once I tear it down. I want to get it back to running as soon as possible when I tear it down as I don't have another car and will be driving one of dad's toys. It won't be a problem doing a LS6 intake or other bolt-ons later as I can do them once it warms up and isn't easier with a lift.

All of that to ask you this: Can you see anything that I am missing? This car won't see any spray, will see little to no street action and will be used as a daily driver. Like I said I can add bolt-ons later. Just want to do the hard part while it's easy and convienent(sp?).
Old 01-22-2008, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

any suggestions?
Old 01-22-2008, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Or I'll find a short block and build it on the side to swap all at once. Then I'll sell my old engine.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

find a lq9 shortblock at a juk yard that runs and put that in, then sell the ls1. you will have more cubes and a iron block will last quite a long time if taken care of.

It is a lot easier to do the machining on the iron block as well.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Lq9 meaning 6.0 liter?