Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hotcam=low vacuum?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hotcam=low vacuum?

I have a 2002 motor that is all stock except the hotcam and headers. I can't get enough vacuum out of it to operate my power brakes. I pulled the line off that connects to the booster check valve and checked vacuum there. I only get 14 inches. I need at least 18 to operate the brakes. I have the pcv hooked up and the small vacuum port on the back of the intake is capped off. The large one on the front drivers side of the intake is also capped off. Anyone else have this problem or have any ideas? Thanks, John
Old 07-10-2003, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: hotcam=low vacuum?

I have GM's hotcam and headers in my car and have no issues with my power brakes.

Could it be that your 68 Camaro's power brake booster requires more vacuum to operate properly (maybe it is less efficient than newer ones)

I have no idea how many inches of vacuum my car has at idle, but maybe your solution lies in replacing the power brake booster with a new model.

Good luck

Tommy
Old 07-10-2003, 09:13 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anytime you put a longer duration cam in an engine you get less vacuum than before. That Hotcam has more overlap than a lot of other LS1 cams also.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

Complete brake setup is new from Stainless Steel Brakes. I'm going to check the booster to see if it is leaking. Any other ideas?
Old 07-11-2003, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Hotcam has *alot* of overlap for the power it makes, due to the soft ramps. Great for the valvetrain, not so great for the brakes.

Sounds like you have a requirement for more vacuum than a 98+ car, since I had great brakes with the Hotcam. Look into one of the cams that has more aggressive ramps, or a 114 LS. The hotcam is a 112. I doubt you will miss any power with 114 instead of 112.

Chris

Quick Reply: hotcam=low vacuum?