Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Hone

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 Hone

I took my block to the shop about 20 mins ago to get it honed, my car will be strip/street and the shop owner told me he would hone for racing and torque so I can also use it on the street, what do you think about it? Should I hone for street only? thanks
Old 02-11-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure how you hone for racing and torque, maybe different clearances but I'm not sure the car would drive that much different from just a hone. But, I could be wrong...
Old 02-11-2008, 11:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is no race hone vs street hone,the cylinders need to honed correctly for the rings that are being used-different grits of stones and crosshatch angles are used for different rings
Old 02-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow race and street hone? find some one else to do the machine work.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MLP00Z28
I took my block to the shop about 20 mins ago to get it honed, my car will be strip/street and the shop owner told me he would hone for racing and torque so I can also use it on the street, what do you think about it? Should I hone for street only? thanks

Yeah that's kinda weird? You can do some extra smooth finishing passes with higher grit over what you'd normally do but you don't want to kill your cross hatch depth too much or the hone jobe will not last that long. I am not sure what a racing and torque hone job really means either though especially the "torque" part?

The finish is only about 25% of a hone job being "Good" or "Bad" as it's 75% getting the cylinders truly round and straight and the right size that's most important and using the right gaskets and fasteners and tq. plates to do it right. If your bores are not round when the heads are bolted down as in not done with a Tq. plate etc. the finish won't help you that much anyway.