Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing New Heads - Prep Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing New Heads - Prep Questions

I'm currently following the heads/cam replacement instructions from ls1howto.com, and have just removed the stock heads.

I'm getting ready to prep the block for the new heads, but before I do, I wanted to make absolutely certain I'm doing everything by the book (I don't want to have to undo everything again ).

I have a plastic ice scraper to remove the gasket material, but am concerned about getting debris in the holes where coolant flows. Should I just use my air compressor and blow this out when I'm done scraping?

Once the coolant is removed from the bolt holes, the instructions state to use an old head bolt (after cutting a slot with a Dremel) to remove any remaining debris. Is it OK just to break out my tap&die set to acheive the same results?

What's the best way to clean the carbon deposits off the pistons?

Anything special to use to touch up/clean the block before putting the new head gaskets on?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-13-2003, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Installing New Heads - Prep Questions

Tap and die set prolly won't be long enough. Plus I wouldn't take the chance of cutting any new threads.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A red scotch brite pad and WD-40 will remove the gasket material without damaging the block. It works real good for cleaning the tops of the pistons too. I used an old head bolt and ground a flat spot down the whole length to chase the block threads with. Attach a small pipe to a shop vac crevice tool with duct tape to clean out the bolt holes and then hit them with compressed air.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question: "What's the best way to clean the carbon deposits off the pistons"?

Get one of those single edge razor blades that slide into a metal holder. Get the piston all the way to the top. It will actually stick out of the bore slightly. Scrap the piston top. It will take off [all] the carbon deposits very very quickly. No problem.

I tried different ways of cleaning the piston tops. This is the fastest and best way by far. You won't hurt anything....

Ron,
Old 07-14-2003, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont use a tap and die...Its too sharp. Aluminum is to soft. The slotted bolt works very well. Feel free to use compressed air liberally on the boly holes... It cant hurt...BUT watchout for the coolant passages. They have a bunch of coolant in them and they are right next to the holes. The air goes in them too and splashes coolant everywhere.

chris