Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat spot in powerband?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat spot in powerband?

Yeah, so I have the mods in my sig, installed and tuned by TTP. It had a lid on it during tuning I assume.

The car went about 5k miles after the tune and was sold to another member on here. I bought the car from him and he had put almost no miles on it. It had a factory lid just kinda stuck in place with no clips. I ordered an SLP lid and put it on the car. I had it off yesterday to change out the filter and long story short its broken. I put the factory lid back on it. The factory lid has been ground down. All the freemods are already done on the car.

When I go about 1/3-1/2 throttle there is a flat spot in the powerband from 2k-3200rpm. Its almost like someone flipped a switch and cut out power to a spark plug. At a lower throttle position or higher throttle position it still runs fine. It pulls like normal from idle up to 2K then doesn't pull as hard until 3200. You can hear the pitch of the exhaust change drastically. It gets really raspy almost like WOT.

I have also noticed that when I put gas in the car if I don't let it idle for about a minute before I take off, the car bogs pretty bad at all RPM's instead of 2k-3200. If I rev up once it clears right out and runs fine. It has only done this once outside of getting gas. The car was already warm and I just sorta jumped in and took off with 10 seconds or less of idle.

I haven't driven a cammed fuel injected car before. Is it just "loading up" like a carbed car or is this an airflow issue? What could cause the RPM flat spot at a certain throttle position other than the factory lid? I didn't have the SLP lid on long enough to test it lol. I think the car is running just a little rich which doesn't really bother me. Do you think its worth travelling 2-3 hours to get a tune after I get a new lid?

Last edited by FMX05; 02-17-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it do this before all of the lid action?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Well I got the car with a factory lid and it did it. I switched to the SLP lid but barely got to drive it before I broke it. Now I'm on the factory lid again and its doing it.

I just remembered I haven't cleaned the MAF sensor yet. I don't know if it would cause this specific problem but its worth a try.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Banned

FMX: Has the car been tuned since it left? That's weird, I'm trying to figure out exactly what car it is, so I can put a name to it and view the tune. I know I'm all the way up here but I'd like to help you out... Could be a spark issue, o2 sensor issue.. Anything that gives direction to fuel, it does sound like it's "loading up" on fuel at times.

Last edited by TTPMatt; 02-16-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same thing on a car i just picked up friday.. I did seafoam, PVC valve, Oil, Fuel Filter today and after a WOT run up to around 110 car started cutting out from 2-3k or so then would go nuts after again pulling does the same low idle thing sometimes.. SES is on atm just came on gotta get it pulled tomorrow
Old 02-17-2008, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Hey matt. I think you could answer another question for me while your here. I forgot the previous owners name, but the car was registered in pennsylvania. It is a 99NBM Formula. The car would have had ~90K miles on it when the work was done. It had an Equalizer V3 put in, An LS6 Oil Pump, and Dual exhaust. It still has hangers for the TSP dual kit but it has been modified and shoots right out from the X pipe to the front of the rear tires. Spec 3 clutch was also installed. The guy payed ~$4500 cash for the work you did.

When I get home I will try and find the reciept to get his name off of it. The other question is what intake was on it when it was dynoed. It dynoed at the numbers in my sig uncorrected. The car was sold to another member in missouri and it was barely driven before I bought it.

After reading the part number on the intake I determined it is an LS1 intake from a vette. I don't see how this car could make the power it did through and LS1 intake on pump gas with just Patriot stage II's and the V3. Of course, I don't really know because the V3 specs are top secret. It lopes pretty hard for a DD at certain times and at others you can barely tell it has a cam in it. Besides the flat spot that I get off and on the tuning is pretty good. It bucks pretty bad below 1400RPM in 1st through 4th.

To my knowledge it hasn't been tuned since it left you guys. If it was tuned with an LS6 intake on it and someone swapped it out for an LS1 intake it could explain why the ECU seems to be hunting for the settings. The guy was still in college I believe because there is a kutztown university parking sticker on it and pennsylvannia emissions stickers. You also put new GM rockers in along with headers of some sort. They look like pacesetters. Any info you could give me would be great. I'm going to be replacing all the typical tune up stuff within the next week. If that doesn't work hopefully you could point me in the right direction. Do you keep records by VIN#? If so I could pm you the vin and we could try and figure this out. Thanks.

EDIT: It is not throwing an SES light. I don't have any of the paperwork with me but I want to say the dyno graph's date was march of 2007. It was definately feb-april area if that helps any.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i did a little snooping on the board i was able to find that stokedporcupine is the owner that had the work done by ttp and it had a ls6 intake on it when it left the shop with true duel exhaust and a whisper lid
George

Last edited by 07BlueDevilZ06; 02-18-2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 07BlueDevilZ06
i did a little snooping on the board i was able to find that stokedporcupine is the owner that had the work done by ttp and it had a ls6 intake on it when it left the shop with true duel exhaust and a whisper lid
George
Thanks man, that answers a lot of questions. I pulled both dyno graphs out of the car. One is from 6/5/2006 and it showed 395.3hp and 368.96tq. The other graph is from 3/21/07 and it shows 448.85hp and 418.60tq.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

Lol, after looking up the previous owner, you've gotta be kidding me! He bought the car from Hawksthirdgen.com in Easley South Carolina, which is ~ an hour from me. They did the original H/C swap and put a GMMG catback on it. Then TTP put an even bigger cam in and changed around the exhaust setup. Both times it was dynoed with an LS6 Intake. Then they swapped out the patriot performance H/C combo cam for the Equalizer V3 and changed exhaust. It went from Flowtech headers and a GMMG catback to Flowtech headers, SLP high flow cats, Kooks X pipe and EAD Powersticks exited in front of the rear tires. Well, matt, I think we found the owner... So in theory all I should have to do is swap an LS6 intake on it and put on a lid to get it back to the "as-tuned" state.

Quick Reply: Flat spot in powerband?