Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator is DEAD!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alternator is DEAD!!

Just longtubes installed about 2-3 weeks ago. I came to work this morning and it started up good.. Wanted to grab breakfast during break at work and my car didn't start.. Headlights were not on. Didn't turn at all.. I got a jump and no luck either. It turns but no luck...

This is alternator failure right?? I have no heat wrap or shield for the alternator
Old 02-16-2008, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

There is a fusible link (or maybe 2?) on the wires(s) from the alternator to the starter, just above the starter. It's fairly common for these to be melted after a header install. If so, no alternator. Check that first.

I just had to have mine fixed. I had the tech put a spark plug wire heat sleeve around the replacement fusible link.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you check the battery? it could have started in the morning from the cool weather and did not start because it was warm in the afternoon.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Restricted User

yep, check the battery too. I just dealt w/ a similar issue
Old 02-18-2008, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

well I was at work when this happened yest but when the tow truck driver got there he wanted to see what it was doing. I tightened the terminals back to battery and turned turn key...blets would turn slightly but click, click

Now he gave me a boost from his big tow truck connected to two batteries.. No luck same result... He then removed the ground connection to the front left strut bolt b/c he said he gets the ground from the frame, and now he clipped the positive next to the fuse box... First turn motor started!!! I was like yes!!

It was my battery peeps.. Was able to drive it home and when I turned it off, I tried to start it but click click once again... I took it to AZ and tested it.. BAD BATTERY! I just bought an Optima for like $160 but it's a good strong battery w/ warranty. Just bought starter heat wrap and wire wrap also..

These damn starters & alternators are freankin expensive and I'm glad I didn't have to replace one of them w/ the battery