Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interesting question for you guys

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interesting question for you guys

I'm having my engine rebuilt due to a broken ringland and an unhappy piston. Is it possible to buy just ONE piston from a sponsor or could i possibly call diamond and explain to them that one piston let go and i need a new one ?

ps i tried to search but i couldnt find anything of use. thanks guys

edit : i spoke with diamond and if its off the shelf piston you can order just one, if its a custom piston minimum order is 4. Thought i'd pass the info along.

Last edited by MadMike; 02-21-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I avoid this, unless it's a tractor engine.

Pistons need to be the same weight, so unless you have the weights of the other 7 pistons and can ensure the new one matches up you're at risk of throwing off the balance.

If you really need to go this route, get the part# off the failed piston and talk to Diamond about their weight spec variation from lot to lot. Maybe you'll get lucky, and they're still sourcing the alloy from the same vendor and still QC-ing their pistons to super-precise weight specs.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

thanks, i didn't want to go this route but my engine builder says he will take care of it and make sure everything matches up, I unforunately dont have the money to go through with a whole new set of pistons and the balancing + rebuild. I was going to if need be but he said it will be fine and safe. and he will let me know if theres something i should be concerned about. the extra money is unfortunately going to repairing the cylinder head that the failed piston so nicely destroyed for me.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Send your injectors off for flow-test and cleaning, if you've got one underflowing you'll just trash the engine again.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by crainholio
Send your injectors off for flow-test and cleaning, if you've got one underflowing you'll just trash the engine again.
Your 100 percent on that one. ON that topic since im running a fast intake i heard that the #7 Cylinder ends up running lean, if i have the injectors flow tested can i put the fattest one on that cylinder? will that help? i definitely cant afford another grenaded engine.

Also where can i send them for flow testing?