Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water shooting from radiator

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water shooting from radiator

Well I finally got my car fired up but with my luck it can't be without issues. I fired it first and let it run about 15 minutes then shut it off to heat cycle the springs came out again and went to drive it and went around the block. Temp went to 220 and low coolant came on. I turned around and went back home. I let it cool and added some more to the over flow and popped the rad cap. I put a little more in but it was not below the low coolant sensor when I took the cap off. I fired it up with the cap off and a few bubbles started coming up then it started to boil over then it started shooting water out so I shut it off. I am thinking the T stat is stuck and it is new so I do not know for sure if it worked before. My other concern is I just installed a Cam and heads. I used the MLS gaskets so I am wondering if one could have gone on wrong. I am pretty sure that is not the case but want to check and see if this has happened to anyone.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Probably air in the system, it's not uncommon. Check to make sure you don't have any coolant in the oil and that it's not blowing white smoke tho.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oil looks good. I checked that right away. I have to much oil in it I know that so I will be draining a little. The only other thing I did not mention is the fans are not running either. I replaced the temp sensor as well so I am not sure if it could be bad althought my aeroforce gauge seems to be reading fine. I have the LS6 coolant plugs so I know it will not allow air to blead off as easily as the LS1 style.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think if it has air in it, that can cause the temp sensor not to function as it should. I would fill it up and run it just long enough for it to circulate, shut it off and let it cool down completely then check the level in the radiator. If it's low it just needs the air purged, keep doing it until it is full when cool.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are the instructions from Hypertech to purge the air when you install the thermostat:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/scan0001.jpg
Old 02-24-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the link. I bought a 180 Be Cool therm but I know it is all the same when purging the air. I think I am going to try and get my car jacked up in the front and undo the coolant crossover to see if I can burp some air out. When I did the heads/cam I wet vaccumed the water out so coolant was not pouring into the cylinders so I know I took alot of water out. It deffinately took some water when I refilled it but thank goodness for my Aeroforce gauge as that factory one reads about 20 degrees less and I have a 98.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your problem persists I would look for a leaking head gasket putting compression into water jacket.