Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forums, need some answers

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to forums, need some answers

Hi, I am right now an 05 modded V6 mustang owner, but am converting to a 6M LS1 Z28 before May due to the lack of power and n/a mods from mustangs. I already did some research on these cars and would like some help in questions I have come across.

1. I will have $3.5k-$4.5k for mods and am wondering what you guys would suggest me to do for the best power/dollar or beginning mods that are usually done on LS1's? (I think I read somewhere people said do a lid, cai, and full exhaust(lt headers/cat-back) before working on internals-heads/cam)

2. I have heard that the stock 7.5 rear end isn't very strong. I am looking to push at least 350rwhp by the end of May with modding, so what would you suggest, building up the 7.5 or looking for a 9" rear end? I was thinking if I stuck with the 7.5, I would throw a girdle on it, and switch to a stronger lsd(eaton locker, true track, lockrite locker, or auburn high performance lsd) to make it be able to handle the 350rwhp or more I will have in the immediate future and 450rwhp I am planning to have in the distant(1yr) future.

3. With this new problem of extra power, what is the 6spd manual tranny rated at? Can it take the extra power(350rwhp, 450rwhp, more)? I know in this department the least I will have to do is upgrade the clutch.

4. What are some worth doing free mods? I think I heard about a throttle body bypass, maf screen removal, EGR-something. Possibly weight reduction.

That's what's puzzled me for now, so thanks for any help ahead of time and looking over this place it looks pretty cool and informative so I think I'll like it here
Old 02-25-2008, 09:27 AM

Realized I could be in wrong section, so I'll post there.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha i had about 6 paragraphs on the swap before i reread your post to see you were buying a Z28 not just swapping the ls1 into your car. $4k can get you a nice cam/headers/intake/exhaust/tune if you do the work yourself. Wouldnt be hard to make 400rwhp with that. I've broken 1 T56, that was in my 01 Z06 putting down 465rwhp/422rwtq on a 7300rpm 1-2 shift with DRs @ 15psi that i daily drove on. It snapped the outputshaft and cracked the differential. I lost a 3rd gear synchro once too. They are really indestructable transmissions IMO. You will break your rear 100 times before you break the transmisison.

The rears are not as weak as people say. If you keep sticky tires off of them like drag radials and slicks then you should be fine. My 94 Z has 275 street tires on the rear and i run it hard alot of times. The rear hasnt broken yet. It has probably around 340rwhp/360rwtq it does have a torson dif and motive 3.73s though but it also has alot of suspension work to keep traction to the rear so it adds stress.

I say just keep a spare rear end around like me. It will eventually break but it only takes an hour or two by yourself to swap it.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the car is stock and low miles I would do the following:
1) LID
2) Cold Air
3) Headers-Y-pipe-exhaust
4) Supension mods- Shocks, sway bars, pan hard, etc.
5) Throttle bottle port
6) Cam (233/233), valve springs, oil pump, push rods, etc
7) Pulley
8) Heads

The above should get you at least 400+ HP.

9) N20 will get you over 500 with a 100 shot.

Good luck.

Let us know how it goes.
Bill
Old 02-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Are you worried about passing emissions at all? If you are, don't do anything to the engine...save up for a supercharger kit...instant power/bang for buck.

If not...then I would first get a cam and longtube headers, those two alone will get you significant and noticable gains...seat of the pants gains, not just on a dyno.

Search for all the free mods you can do, and with any money left over get that suspension in shape.

A good set of tires will do wonders. You'll have enough power, you'll just have to be able to put it to the ground.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

I havent seen an ls1 in the new mustangs... neat project... seems like an expensive car to start with... just me though..
Old 02-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chromeplated500
I havent seen an ls1 in the new mustangs... neat project... seems like an expensive car to start with... just me though..

I think he is getting a Z28, M6 with an LS1. Not a mushtang with an LS1