Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam choice

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam choice

hey guys im still kinda new here... i got a 98 t/a a4. i have no mods except a lid i plan on exhaust and 3.42 soon but i want to do a cam swap. i drive my car every day so i want something thats gonna add power aswell be very streetable. any help will be appreciated
p.s. hpw does am affect mpg?
Old 03-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Teching In

well if your looking for some power but will still be very streetable you should look into maybe a GM hotcam, you can pop them in and not have to worry to much about tuning or valve train upgrades, but you should get some LTs if you gonna swap cams
Old 03-02-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

is this wat u would use? so do i need springs still? and will it afftect mpg at all?
Old 03-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Teching In

well in my car i have a MS3 for the cam and is not a daily driver, you may also want to check into say a futral F13 or TR230 cam, your springs should be fine with a hotcam but anything with higher lift or high mileage should be replace along with push rods...but if your going to go through that you should just look into new heads to make some more power, check out texas-speed.com they usually have some good prices and are helpful....as for MPG it will go down but a smaller cam is not as noticable as large one
Old 03-02-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hotcam kits come with the 02+ LS6 style springs I believe. I wouldn't run the hotcam on anything less. Not to talk you out of it, but an aftermarket cam with less duration and more lift might make better power and be as drivable. Probably wouldn't sound as mean as the hotcam though. The ubiquitous TR224, MTI Stealth II...

I personally have the world's smallest cam since I turned mine into a wanna-be LS6. My fuel economy is unnoticeably different. If I had to do it over again maybe I would have picked a different cam to go with the heads but it is a daily driver and not a racecar and I got a good deal on the parts.