Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling Noise When Under a Load?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling Noise When Under a Load?

Ok, this is driving me crazy. When I go from a stop and give it about a 1/4 to full throttle, there is a rattling noise on the drive side of the engine that occurs between 1900 and 2400 rpm. It is inside of the engine, I know that much. You can hear more of a tick at higher rpm's. I must admit there have been a few times I've over revved so I'm thinking it could possibly be a bent push rod. Anyone with a similar experience to mine? When it is in neutral you don't hear any noise. So I don't believe it's a lifter. I just don't want to have to get a new engine to fix this problem. It does sound like a knock, can't tell if it's bottom end or top end. No metal shavings in the oil. The car drives perfectly fine, oil pressure is right on key. It's just that damn rattle! well anyway. Any input would be great. Thanks guys. You have helped me through a lot as the years have gone by.

Jeff
Old 03-08-2008, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spark knock? are you using 91 octane?
Old 03-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Always use 91 octane. I don't think it's pinging. I just changed the plugs a couple of months ago.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Any ideas guys? Would be much appreciated.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Can you record your fuel trim numbers? This helps me eliminate a cyl concern, such as a fuel rich negative numbers? Which tells me incomplete combustion in a cyl.

Alot of my friends LS engines have valvetrain noise around the 2000rpm? I would remove my valve cover and look at my springs and re torque my rocker arms. And you could also look at your pushrods?
Old 03-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Teching In

I know my car is running rich, needs to be tuned for the headers and ory. You can smell that it's running rich and the unburnt fuel ignites in the tips on decel. I've owned 3 ls1's in my life, never had a noise like this come from the valvetrain. You might be right, I ordered a new set of Trick Flow Chromemolly pushrods so I'll get the torque specs for the rocker arms and torque them down right after I take them off and replace the rods. Hopefully it's just a minor valvetrain problem. Wouldn't want to have to overhaul the engine. To get the fuel trim numbers, I need to get something to record live data right? Like a Diablo Sport Predator or EFILive?
Old 03-08-2008, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FormulaFiend
I know my car is running rich, needs to be tuned for the headers and ory. You can smell that it's running rich and the unburnt fuel ignites in the tips on decel. I've owned 3 ls1's in my life, never had a noise like this come from the valvetrain. You might be right, I ordered a new set of Trick Flow Chromemolly pushrods so I'll get the torque specs for the rocker arms and torque them down right after I take them off and replace the rods. Hopefully it's just a minor valvetrain problem. Wouldn't want to have to overhaul the engine. To get the fuel trim numbers, I need to get something to record live data right? Like a Diablo Sport Predator or EFILive?
yes anything that reads hego's should give you fuel trim numbers? My HP Tuner does. You can also use a wideband to see your fuel trim numbers? Just rambling, hope some of this helps? I always try easy stuff first than work my way to the BS... ha ha . Goodluck..............

Quick Reply: Rattling Noise When Under a Load?