Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supertech full Synthetic oil change today

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone done an oil analyses for two changes? Then there is no way to know how good it is. I think anyone that says that there engine does not make noise with the oil so it must be OK does not understand what oil does in the engine. Mobile 1 is still living off it old reputation. It is to thin and not as good as it use to be. I would never use it. The oil filter has as much to do with as the oil. I would never use a Fram filter. Any one use synthetic oil and a cheep filter? It will be in bypass very fast and the oil will not matter. I use K and N filters and German Castrol on the Trans Am because it gets good oil analyses. Any one have good data on the new stuff? I think I will use it in the DD but not an LSX engine.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:59 PM
9 Second Club

i think Wix for being a "cheap" filter is supposed to be really good.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
Has anyone done an oil analyses for two changes? Then there is no way to know how good it is. I think anyone that says that there engine does not make noise with the oil so it must be OK does not understand what oil does in the engine. Mobile 1 is still living off it old reputation. It is to thin and not as good as it use to be. I would never use it. The oil filter has as much to do with as the oil. I would never use a Fram filter. Any one use synthetic oil and a cheep filter? It will be in bypass very fast and the oil will not matter. I use K and N filters and German Castrol on the Trans Am because it gets good oil analyses. Any one have good data on the new stuff? I think I will use it in the DD but not an LSX engine.
I've read a few reviews about ST over at bobistheoiluy which is why i went with it.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thinking about sending my M1 off at 3,500 then using some of the wally for 3,000 and sending it off

whats a decently priced service that does it?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

oil is oil
Old 03-12-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
oil is oil
Not true at all.... but I agree that there is definitely overpriced oil out there. And a lot of BS marketing for sure.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

I've been on this site ever since I bought my car, and I have yet to figure out what the **** german castrol is!!! What does the bottle look like? That may be a dumb *** question, so forgive me for sounding like a newb. I've been using castrol syntec and wix filters, and knock on wood, no trouble yet.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mesospeedy
I've been on this site ever since I bought my car, and I have yet to figure out what the **** german castrol is!!! What does the bottle look like? That may be a dumb *** question, so forgive me for sounding like a newb. I've been using castrol syntec and wix filters, and knock on wood, no trouble yet.

It can only be bought at Autozone. It has "European Formula" on the front and "Made in germany" on the back

Old 03-12-2008, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Ahhh, so I'm not a dumbass, I've just never seen it cause I don't shop at Auto Zone!!! My O'Reiley's friend gets me his employee discount, so I'm kinda loyal there! But if it is that much better than the regular syntec, I might have to "get in the Zone", lol.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

why is the european formula considered superior?

I've read lots of oil stuff on the chevelle boards because there is a problem with modern oil leading to cam failures due to lack of zinc and other minerals, seems RP does well in the tests they do while Mobile 1 does not. Valvoline racing stuff is top of the list as well IIRC. Others just dump in GM EOS assembly lube with the oil to help.

This should mean little to nothing for roller cams and newer engines, but it can't hurt much either I suppose...

I get RP for less than $.25 a quart more than Mobile 1 so there hasn't been any reason to not use it.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been using M1 0-40 and 10-40 for 153,000 + miles in my LS1..I change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals...the car uses a half quart every 5,000 miles and it sees the red line every day of its life...when ever the heads have been off the engine it looks like new inside...it makes 450 RWHP ..if M1 is over rated I sure can't complane about it perfromance over the last 5 years in this engine..
Old 03-12-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slt200mph
I have been using M1 0-40 and 10-40 for 153,000 + miles in my LS1..I change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals...the car uses a half quart every 5,000 miles and it sees the red line every day of its life...when ever the heads have been off the engine it looks like new inside...it makes 450 RWHP ..if M1 is over rated I sure can't complane about it perfromance over the last 5 years in this engine..
Same here. The 0-40 really works well in our engines, and it produces good oil analysis results too.

FWIW, I did try German Castrol at one point, but I found that I burned through it faster than M1. My personal experience; your results may vary.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Banned

I won't touch M1 since there have been tests that it becomes a 20W oil when heated.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimes
Same here. The 0-40 really works well in our engines, and it produces good oil analysis results too.

FWIW, I did try German Castrol at one point, but I found that I burned through it faster than M1. My personal experience; your results may vary.
Yes I liked the 0-40 M1 and ran it for a long time but it has become hard to find in the 5 gallon containers (wally world) and the 10-40 high mileage is now readily available (again at wally world) and I definately qualify as high miles with over 153,000 on the clock now..no complaints with M1 from me.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:12 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Walmart has too much power over products, they could change vendors at anytime. If changing oil is to expensive for ya then run it longer. Run the synthetic stuff 7-10k miles. Most of the dummy oil lights come on at around 6-8k miles anyway(on the vehicles I have).
Old 03-13-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

I hate to say it but I usually run regular castrol oil and change my oil every 3000-3200 miles. I put the gc in last oil change to see if it would quite my piston slap on cold starts. It actually seems worse with the GC.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used to run M1 in the vette but it seemed to get sop dark so fast. I switched to RP and noticed that the oil temps dropped about 10 degrees and the oil still looks clean at 3k. I also ran the M1 in the trans am for a while and it would burn it. Like a quart in 1500. I now also use RP in it and I can go 3k before it's a quart low. The luck I had with M1 wasn't very good.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
why is the european formula considered superior?

I've read lots of oil stuff on the chevelle boards because there is a problem with modern oil leading to cam failures due to lack of zinc and other minerals, seems RP does well in the tests they do while Mobile 1 does not. Valvoline racing stuff is top of the list as well IIRC. Others just dump in GM EOS assembly lube with the oil to help.

This should mean little to nothing for roller cams and newer engines, but it can't hurt much either I suppose...

I get RP for less than $.25 a quart more than Mobile 1 so there hasn't been any reason to not use it.
Theres actually a bunch of reasons that people prefer to run GC. A couple are that since its MADE IN GEMANY it is a full synthetic and made from a higher grade base oil. See Germany has oil standards that are more strict then the USA. In the USA it is legal for an oil company to advertise as a full synthetic when they are in fact NOT a full synthetic no matter what the bottle says. German made Castrol is started off with a grade 4 oil. Mobil 1 once apoun a time started off that way as well. But once they found out that they can get away with advertising as a full synthetic and not truly be and had the strong reputation that still holds up today they decided to switch its base to a grade 3 oil. Im not gonna bash any oil brands because they are all decent quality. I just would rather run stuff that my car performs the best with and for me it is GC. I have tried Ams,Mobil,GC, and RP and the GC hands down does the most good for my car. It quiets my ticking and lasts the longest. It also is not consumed real fast like Mobil 1 was in my car. I actually just changed my oil today as a matter of fact. And I was amazed because due to lack of funds I didnt change the oil in a while. I had about 4800 miles on this oil and DID NOT add any oil to it and I was only half a quart low and you can still see through the oil. It wasnt crystal clear but it was very clean. By the way I ran a Bosh premium filter.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

penz plat is on sale at Advance auto if ya got one $3.98 a quart... now they have a super syn to.. so what does this make the regular syn everyone said was better then the M1
Old 03-14-2008, 02:56 AM
Banned

German Castrol is almost 8 dollars a quart here in arizona

Quick Reply: Supertech full Synthetic oil change today