Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam only gains?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam only gains?

hey guys i been doing a bunch of research on cams. I m putting in a big cam over the summer and the car will stay cam only. Im looking for track times, hp, and torque numbers. i am opting with an ms4, trex, or vindicator just so you see how big im planning. try to post times with no other internal work done. im trying to find numbers with a cam, stall, and gears.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You are going about it wrong (IMO)
First do bolt ons and stall. When picking your stall think of the cam going in (extention points), do suspension mods, race that thing.
Once you have it down, add a cam, and you don't need the biggest, but you need the "RIGHT" cam.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

sorry buddy, heres the thing...i have headers y pipe and catback, i have a k and n intake, slp maf...your right though, im not doing the cam till i put in the pt4400 or even after i put in the 3.73's so i agree with you completely...i figured a cam that big would match what im installing in the car?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Teching In

my friends ms4 put down 427rwhp. m6, 98ss, full bolt ons.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u definitely dont need a big cam!! if u see alot of track times, or are trying to set records then sure why not. i went with an MTI X1..sounds bad ***!!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

go with the cam size you want i definetly went big because i WANTED to.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SSstud
sorry buddy, heres the thing...i have headers y pipe and catback, i have a k and n intake, slp maf...your right though, im not doing the cam till i put in the pt4400 or even after i put in the 3.73's so i agree with you completely...i figured a cam that big would match what im installing in the car?
Add a rebuilt level 4 or 5 tranny to that if you go with that big a stall, better beef up your rear as well, like at least TA cover or similar to preload (it might last awhile then), then relo brackets, adjustable trq arm like Spohn or BMR (not the ones that hook to your tailshaft), LCAs, poly bushings. So unless you forgot to mention those as well. you still have ways to go before slipping in such big cams.
Without all of these supporting mods, you just have a big dog on your hands.
my 2c

The trick to optimizing those cams is a balanced combo which requires a boatload of supporting mods. Otherwise you have a motor that sounds like a dragster but moves like a turtle.

I'm A4 and I drag regularly (just in case you think I'm talking out my *ss)