Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace timing gears?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace timing gears?

I am doing a cam swap (and push rods, ported LS6 oil pump, springs/retainers, underdrive pully, tune) and was going to get the LS2 timing chain. Just wondering, is there a reason to replace the timing gears at the same time?

My car as 100,000 miles on it.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:12 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not going to hurt, but not a necessity. I've done quite a few 100K+ LS1's using the stock timing/crank gears with no problems.

Go ahead while you've got the front cover off, and replace the front seal (seal that the crank pulley slides into). Cheap to replace, and 5 out of 10 will leak once R&R'd if not replaced. Will need a hammer to knock it out. Also don't forget, put a little bit of high temp RTV in the bottom corners of the front cover (where it meets the oil pan/motor) upon re installation to insure a good seal.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Inspect them good for cracks, wear, etc. If it were me, I might install new ones because wear in the sprockets can delay roller release and tend to wrap the chain longer. There are a lot of good sets out there that are complete, like the JP Performance single, that also has a Torrington bearing on the cam gear. For an extra $50, you get the whole enchilada and the gears are billet as well.