Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new AFR heads need new pushrods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new AFR heads need new pushrods?

Just installed brand new out the box AFR, 205, p/n 1510, cnc heads. Mechanic reused the hardened pushrods that were installed about 10k mile ago, when I did the cam swap. Heads are not milled, and used factory GM head gaskets. See signature for cam specs. Heres the problem: heard very loud tapping sound after the car sat for couple days; only had driven about 70-90 miles on head swap. The sound came after car had been idled for about 1-2 minutes, last about 5 seconds, then went away. Sounded like it was coming from top end of engine, but stopped before I could pop the hood. drove the car grand-ma style about 6 miles, and came back home. SES light came on during drive (scan says it is o2 sensor on bank 1, sensor 1), but i want to pull the valve covers and look around. Should i have run a different length pushrod? Im wondering if the sound came from a valve spring, or loose rocker, or something. Shop hasnt looked at it yet, but advised a loose rocker wouldnt stop making noise, once it started. They suggested it might be a lifter pumping up? would roller cam hydralic lifters need to pump up with oil? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They should have checked the pushrod length (hopefully they did and then once verified re-used the pushrods). My Morels will do exactly what you stated if it is cold out. When I start they are quiet then they will tick for a couple of minutes and then quiet down again.

What oil are you using?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. It was cool that night (high 40's). Im using Royal Purple, 5w-30 in the engine. Is it a loud tick, or more like a muted tapping sound? Mine was loud. And your lifters do that each time? Mine are factory lifters...
Old 03-17-2008, 05:27 PM

Sometimes the Dual springs have a sewing machine sound to them. Stock length should be fine.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rob c
Thanks. It was cool that night (high 40's). Im using Royal Purple, 5w-30 in the engine. Is it a loud tick, or more like a muted tapping sound? Mine was loud. And your lifters do that each time? Mine are factory lifters...
They did with the German Castrol, if it was warmer they would do it less. Then I switched to Amsoil 5W-30, they don't do it unless cold out so the Amsoil definitely helped. If it keeps doing it on cooler days, try a different oil. Look at the viscosity at 40 degrees C to help figure out what to try, that will give you an indication of how well it flows on cold start. For example, the German Castrol was a 0W-30 and the Amsoil a 5W-30, but the Amsoil actually has lower viscosity at 40 degrees C which is why it helped me out.